Favorite Guitarists?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunepeg35

Reaction score
Hey guys just was wondering what the title says. For me it has to be cat stevens, hes just an amazing guitarists, and has really stood the test of time. He just put out a greatest hits cd called "gold". I think everyone should think about getting it. Anyways feel free to comment on cat himself, or leave your own recommendations. Later

Jimi Hendrix.
Grant Green.
B.B. King.
Wes Montgomery.
Cornell Dupree.
Phil Upchurch.
Thurston Moore.
Ben Monder.
Phelps "Catfish" Collins and his JB counterpart (name escapes me at the moment).
Kurdt Cobain.
Derek Bailey.
J. Mascis from 1985-1989
FREDDIE GREEN (yeah!)
Albert King.

This is in no particular order and the list varies by the day but this is today's list.

:D

James Jamerson
Victor Wooten
Marcus Miller
Jaco Pastorius
Buddy Guy
James Burton
Joe Pass
Albert Lee
Jimi Hendrix
Roy Buchanan
Freddie King
Eric Clapton
Jan Akkerman
Slash
Angus Young

There are many others, but this will do for now!

I didn't know bass players were included. If so, Jamerson would definitely have made my list. One of my all-time favorite musicians on any instrument.

Freddie King
Johny Winter
Roy Buchanam
Brian May
Ritchie Blackmore

and many more....... :wink:

Freddie King
T Bone Walker
Duke Robillard
Jimmie Vaughan
Wes Montgomery
Kenny Burrell
Gatemouth Brown
early BB King
early Clapton
Lightnin Hopkins
Doyle Bramhall II

Obviously the question was favourite guitarists, not neccessarily if in everyones oppinion they are good or not, so these are my favourites (in no particular order).

Slash (he inspired me to pick up a guitar, and always own Les Paul's)
Hendrix (well, just cause he is Hendrix !!)
Clapton (you can feel the emotion with every note)
Satriani (just something about the way he plays)
Matt Bellamy (from the Band MUSE)
Neol Gallagher (OASIS, for proving 3 chords can still make a cool guitar based song to listen to)

Sorry for the long list but that's how it goes! :D Probably my biggest influence is Steve Lukather and lately I've discovered that my sound and playing reminds me alot of Andy Timmons.

Andy Timmons
Steve Lukather
Paul Gilbert
Yngwie Malmsteen
Vinnie Moore
John Petrucci
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Gary Moore
Mark Knopfler
Brian May
Michael Angelo
Michael Romeo
Jason Becker
Eric Johnson
Eddie Van Halen

Some of my favourites:

• Jimmy Page (He's the guy that made me want to play guitar.)
    Paul Kossoff
    Jeff Beck (Yardbirds, Truth)
    Eric Clapton (Bluesbreakers, Cream)
    Leslie West
    Steve Marriott
    Peter Green
    Joe Perry
    Angus Young

Jim

Jimmy Page
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Angus Young
Brian Setzer
Jerry Cantrell
Ace Frehley
Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix
Billy Gibbons

Peter Green
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Duane Allman
Roy Buchanan
Paul Kossoff
EC
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Alvin Lee
Angus Young
Freddie King
B.B. King
Leslie West
Paco De Lucia
Joe Satriani

The list could go on........... but...

These are the ones i thought of right now, in no particular order.
Also you should all check out Albert J?rvinen, finnish guitarist who played in the band Hurriganes. He's passed on now but man he made alot of great stuff, i'm sure other finns here will agree :)

I've never really thought of Cat as a guitarist but more of a great musician, i love his music! Maybe i should start listening to his playing :wink:

Because this is a forum about Japanese guitars:

There's a Japanese guitarist named Char who is one of my favorites.

He's been around a long time (since the mid-70's) and really needs more exposure in North America and Europe.

He's had some signature MIJ guitar models, but I forget which manufacturers. I'll have to look that up again.

Crybaby,glad including Paco de Luc?a, he is the gratest spanish player(besides Segovia).I would recomend you a 30 CD collection special edition set including all of his work,a lot of odd stuff...I would recomend you listening Vicente Amigo(his main disciple), another genious :wink:
If you want something I gladly can get for you.

Thank you luis, I'll gladly accept any offer :)

I really like Paco's playing, which i stumbled across by accident. Think i saw a documentary about him or something. Anyway i've always loved spanish music/flamenco, and classical guitar but never really bothered to find out who the good ones are, so if you don't mind i'd love to see a list of your favorite "classical" guitarists!

Hey Orvilleowner!

I own a Leo Skala guitar and I happened to check his site today only to discover that Char is now playing this model:

http://scalaguitars.com/Dreamcatcher%20Main.htm

Leo and his business partner Michael Spalt make some very cool guitars. I bought the only leather-top guitar Leo ever made (and he said he'll never build another!) Bubinga neck, one-piece mahogany body with book leather top and screwed on flame maple pickguard floating atop the leather. Lovely neck. Has some 20-year-old Dimarzios in it and it sings. Tremendous sustain even though the neck is bolt-on. Cannot say enough nice things about it. Michael Spalt also builds some really interesting guitras and basses.

Got a great deal on my leather-top ($1,100 with case) at a guitar show in Phoenix in 2004. I highly recommend his guitars. They are pricey but then again, they are made by a master luthier, and you get what you pay for.

Check out these reviews:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Scala_Guitars/

p.s.

oops :eek:

actually found a photo of my guitar in the Gallery section of Leo's Website:

so here it is already:

http://scalaguitars.com/Picture%20018.jpg

8)

hopjohnskins, that guitar looks wild. "sorrow" and "pain" ??? Okay! What's leather? I like the flamed pickguard. Are you familiar with Char?

Luis, How about you, do you listen to Char too?

Char was a huge Fender Mustang fan ... I have this book all about Char & Mustangs ... I have some videos of Char, but I don't remember him playing any of his ESP signature models on them! I don't know why there were so many different Char models, but some of them looked interesting.

I've learned that Char's new album, "Amano Jack," was released on 7 Dec.
Check out http://www.universal-music.co.jp/char/ to hear some samples. I don't think I'll like it as much as his last "Mr 70's You Set Me Free," which was a nice collection of retro-rock tunes, heavy on guitar.

Latest posts

Back