Massive 8.9 earthquake and tsunami in Japan

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's seriously not good, the whole planet is stuffing up at the moment.

Now there's rumours of one of the nuclear power plants having a breached or damaged reactor core. :(

Yep, it's bloody heartbreaking watching footage of cars and buildings being washed away, undoubtedly with people in them. Just like the flooding in Queensland earlier in the year.

I think we've had enough natural disasters this year to last us for the next decade or so.

I hope our Japanese friends and their families are ok. I cannot believe the level of destruction....

Has Hammamatsu been hit badly too?

youami said:
Yep, it's bloody heartbreaking watching footage of cars and buildings being washed away, undoubtedly with people in them. Just like the flooding in Queensland earlier in the year.

I think we've had enough natural disasters this year to last us for the next decade or so.

Did you guys see that footage of the water coming in over the fields and cars turning on the road to drive away from it? I can't imagine the terror in their minds when they were driving toward it was firts noticed it! :(

Jason

It's all terrible! Events like this, and the recent floods in Queensland and Brazil seem to be happening more and more frequently.

It`s difficult to imagine the enormity of what`s happened out there! One hellish event!

The trouble in the power plant is the biggest nightmare ever.All the best for the people there :cry:

Hamamatsu is about 450 km. far away from Tokyo and the earthquake and main troubles associated were in Sendai area.I just e-mailed my friend Watanabe who lives there to be sure he is OK,no answer still.
When we toured Japan my arquitect frind explained me why biuldning were able to bow a bit because earthquake so I guess they are able to stand it.

I hope Tokai people were safe and well.
My best whishes to them all.

First member from Japan checking in.
First thing first for Tokai fans: as far as I know, the city of Hamamatsu where the Tokai factory is located is not seriously affected by the earthquake this time. Northern Japan, on the other hand, has taken a real hard hit. Even here in Tokyo, the earthquake was very strong. Cell phones still do not work well and some train lines are still stalled.
Not a good time to be in Tokyo, despite all the MIJ guitars nearby :cry:
There is a growing concern over an explosion at a nuclear power plant...

Good to see you check in - I hope your family is ok.

The explosion does not seem to be related to the reactor core itself apparently - which is good but they need to get this under control quick.

All our thoughts are with you guys.

All family members and friends are safe.
They live in the Tokyo area so not exposed to the serious mayhem.

The danger with earthquakes (apart from tsunamis) is fire and falling things. The risk that a building will fall down is small unless its old.

I was in Tokyo on the 20-something floor when a 7.0 quake occured a couple of years ago. I nearly cxxxxxd my pants.

buildings...maybe, parts and/or pieces of buildings...the danger is there. I was in class when this quake hit, I went around town to take pics after and saw broken windows from several floors up, brick, concrete and various pieces of building all over sidewalks...so yeah, a building may not fall but thats not all one has to watch for.

sneakyjapan said:
buildings...maybe, parts and/or pieces of buildings...the danger is there. I was in class when this quake hit, I went around town to take pics after and saw broken windows from several floors up, brick, concrete and various pieces of building all over sidewalks...so yeah, a building may not fall but thats not all one has to watch for.

There is a reason the kids are being drilled to take cover under their desks :wink:

What kind of students do you teach?

The Japanese government have upped the severity level of the nuclear plant incident to 5 on the INES scale. Chernobyl was a 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nuclear_Event_Scale

There's not a huge amount of solid info coming out, but when they started trying to drop water on it from helicopters I figured that the situation was way beyond out of control. The people working at the reactor trying to fix the problems are true heroes, they must know that they are on what could well be a suicide mission, but yet they are there putting their lives on the line to save others. Amazing courage. I wish them all the best and hope that they can overcome the odds.

Look at these before and after pictures to really get your head around how devastating this was.

Put the cursor in the middle of the pictures and move the slider to the left and right.

Put a few bucks to the Red Cross as well...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html

Back