****** Tokai Convention II ********

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
Well it's been a while since the last one so we are going ahead with Tokai convention II, same venu as last time in Leeds, so all you Southern slackers will have to make the effort this time :wink:

Planned date is 23rd October, and quite a few of the members that attended last time have confirmed they will be there. The venue is great, we can make loads of noise, and they sell beer & food! As last time, the festivities will no doubt continue until late, and there is a good hotel nearby.

Drop me a PM if you want to join us, everyone welcome, the more the merrier. :D

Well done John, see you on 23rd October. Make sure you bring your battered old Goldtop. And don't worry about keeping an eye on it, I'll do that for you...

:wink:

Hi John.
Sadly can't do 23rd. Have a great time.
Could make the previous weekend if date isnt set in stone.
Cheers. Dave.

Shame Dave, would have been nice to see you and your blue strats again!!

Unfortunately there are a few of us that can't make the 16th, Are you definitely not able to make the 23rd?

sorry no. Had a guitar wekend retreat in the west country booked for months. Look forward to seeing the photos!

imosdad said:
sorry no. Had a guitar wekend retreat in the west country booked for months. Look forward to seeing the photos!

At least you're not missing it for a family wedding :wink: We'll try and take more pics this time.

Hi JohnA,

**** my timing...... I'm off to see the great Jeff B. on the Friday then heading straight down to Dorset with the missus and kids on the Saturday morning.

I live in Leeds and was really hoping to be able to make the next UK convention to bring my 05 LS150, and my 08 SG175.

Also I had hoped to bring along my DIY amps ( especially now that i see another 18 watt self-builder ! )
I really want to hear someone better than me play through my Park Rockhead clone, Deluxe clone, 18 watters, and *umble ODS 50W self-build. They need some abuse......

BTW - Must share some DIY amp info sometime. Youre just up the road from me !

Cheers and good luck with the day ( I'll be very sorry to miss it )

Pete C.

**** Pete! Would have been great if your amps (I mean you) could have made it!

If anyone would really like to come along and can't make the 23rd, if you can suggest 2 or 3 dates, preferably Saturdays that you could make it and I'll consult with everyone to see if a date change might be possible. Not promising anything, a lot depends on venue availability and other peoples schedules, we are all busy young folk with hectic social calanders :wink:

I'll definitely be there with a different set of guitars from last time and looking forward to trying lots of others :D

I'll be bringing my:-

Bacchus BLS95 P90 Les Paul
Bachus Vintage Series Tele BTE 67 BG (with scaffolding for Mike)
82 Tokai ST55 Springy
80 Navigator Les Paul (mit tokai pickups!)

Could also bring my newish Tokai Hummingbird acoustic if anyones interested.

Suggest we all list the guitars we intend to bring :D

Dave

I'm trying to organize a trip to UK with my family so I can come to Leeds. I really hope I'll manage to come ;)

DaveWW said:
I'll definitely be there with a different set of guitars from last time and looking forward to trying lots of others :D

I'll be bringing my:-

Bacchus BLS95 P90 Les Paul
Bachus Vintage Series Tele BTE 67 BG (with scaffolding for Mike)
82 Tokai ST55 Springy
80 Navigator Les Paul (mit tokai pickups!)

Could also bring my newish Tokai Hummingbird acoustic if anyones interested.

Suggest we all list the guitars we intend to bring :D

Dave

I think I'll decide nearer the time, but I'll bring my Fender Vibroverb 63RI, as I brought my Cornell to the last one.

If you're bringing your natural finish Springy, I should bring my matching Goldie.

I wasn't going to bring my LS85S, but if you're bringing a Bacchus P90 LP, it might be interesting to compare the two.

Apart from that, I'll bring as many Goldies as I can manage! Unless anyone wants to see my TE70 (none of you seemed very interested in Teles last time) or my TE120 with neck P90?

I don't have a great deal different to last time, but I'll pack as much as I can. The Bacchus/Tokai comparison will be an interesting one, I would really like another P90 goldtop, that should help me decide

What would people like to see?

JP

2005 Tokai LSS100 (P90s... brilliant thing)
05 Tokai ES120
80 Tokai LS80
80 Tokai ST80
91 Yamaha MSG (Image) Deluxe
Greco-Zemaitis GZ1900

US

02? 03? Gibson DC LP Special (my main!), P90s
08 Gibson 339
07 Ric 620

Edit: Teles all the way for me, Mike! Far too many strats hanging around last time. I felt quite, quite faint.

JP

2005 Tokai LSS100 (P90s... brilliant thing) YES
05 Tokai ES120
80 Tokai LS80 YES You might not be taking this one home again
80 Tokai ST80
91 Yamaha MSG (Image) Deluxe

US

02? 03? Gibson DC LP Special (my main!) YES
08 Gibson 339
07 Ric 620

Edit: Teles all the way for me, Mike! Far too many strats hanging around

AlanN said:
What would people like to see?

2005 Tokai LSS100 (P90s... brilliant thing)

Edit: Teles all the way for me, Mike! Far too many strats hanging around last time. I felt quite, quite faint.

What is an LSS100? LP with P90s? Gotta pic guv'nor?

I guess a comparison between a good Gibson LP & various Tokais would be cool too.

I wouldn't mind seeing your ES again, though I wasn't planning on bringing mine.

As for Teles, I don't recall you showing any interest in my TE70 last time!

And the reason you felt faint was that your ears were ringing from the noise you made with all those LPs!.

Is your mate Adrian coming?

AlanN said:

:lol:

Agree bring your tele Mike! I think we should bring quite a range of everything if we can. All guitars are different any many of us have changed pups etc so it's great to try variations different set ups etc.

Alan, I think it would also be nice to try a few US. I haven't played many Gibsons for quite a few years so if you can carry them bring those as well.... and I've never played a Ric :D

Dave

DaveWW said:
Agree bring your tele Mike!

Which one?

This one I brought before?

IMG_0899.jpg

Or this one I didn't - you played this one Dave, before John sent it to me.

IMG_0895.jpg

I was thinking it would be nice to get an even bigger selection of Goldies together than last time. We managed 8 before (or was one of them a Bacchus?), & it would be nice to get more than 8 this time.

IMG_1343.jpg

stratman323 said:
What is an LSS100? LP with P90s? Gotta pic guv'nor?

I'll take some now - coincidentally it's sat on my lap and cranked up!

Les paul special. This one's MIJ, black, bone nut, steel head mini grovers, wrap around aluminium bridge. Can't tell if it's SEB or not but I suspect it is as the treble side of the neck is perfectly flush with the body, something I've only seen on the Korean models and the SEB JP ones.

I guess a comparison between a good Gibson LP & various Tokais would be cool too.

Would be, but I don't own a good standard one any more. I sometimes think I never did! ;)

Just the "junior lite" (gibson-speak, "special double cut with fancy inlays" to you and me) and 339 left now from the Gibson stable. The stock P100s were replaced with Bareknuckles. Pic here:

lpdc.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing your ES again, though I wasn't planning on bringing mine.

Okie dokie, will bring that.

As for Teles, I don't recall you showing any interest in my TE70 last time!

Are you kidding? I was trying to get you to sell it to me for over an hour! I think I even offered to swap my springy for it at one point (bit too many guinnesses maybe...)

Loved the feel of it and it sounded amazing through your Cornell.

And the reason you felt faint was that your ears were ringing from the noise you made with all those LPs!.

Pfft, that was with John's attenuator in full flow... you should hear the unholy racket I make nowadays ;)

Is your mate Adrian coming?

Haven't told him yet - I'll text him now!

339? Is that the new slightly smaller-bodied 335 you got a few months back? That's possibly the most interesting of all, actually, something significantly different.

Yep, that's the one. Can't bring too many - tiny car! - so I'll wait for the most requested. Might have to be between the ES and the 339 though!

Re: the LSS, the camera battery is dead, and rather than do a horrible iPhone pic I'll go and find the adaptor...

Back