Has anyone seen this ad?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Reaction score
From DDB Brasil, an advertising agency.....in poor taste. If it gets pulled, try and look for it. It's a rejected ad for the WWF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBfJckEmnvw

youami said:
Yeah, because conservation is obviously going to stop tsunamis from occuring.

I think what they're trying to say is that you should become a conservationist so we can have more tsunamis. I'm up for that!

Ridiculously stupid advert. I hope the WWF slaughtered them for it (conservation of advertising execs be damned).

yeah, that was in pretty poor taste. i sometimes wonder who they have advertising for them, a lot of what the conservationist groups as a whole do actually puts off public support rather than increases it. :lol:

Dave_Mc said:
yeah, that was in pretty poor taste. i sometimes wonder who they have advertising for them, a lot of what the conservationist groups as a whole do actually puts off public support rather than increases it. :lol:

Over here, PETA (people for the ethical treatment of animals) run similar shock value ads. They also spraypaint fur coats being worn by people.

I have another acronym for PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

Yep, that's not right - I doubt there's ever going to be a time when you could say it was ok, maybe in a generation or two's time.

I particularly didn't like the squadron of planes heading into NY, that's not going to help anyone get over the attack, and it's just fear mongering to make some other point. No American will remember the message of the ad, just the nightmare possibility that next time it will be 100 planes. Of course, there will not be a next time.

I thought the tsunami was caused by an undersea earthquake, plates moving about and so on? Getting rid of the stupid 4WDs isn't going to help much with that is it. Shock value ads - usually good, but with this one, on top of all the other stuff, the message just isn't clear enough.

You want shock value? Check out these Canadian public service messages:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUGEHBs5oWY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgREmzi97o&feature=related

JVsearch said:
I particularly didn't like the squadron of planes heading into NY, that's not going to help anyone get over the attack, and it's just fear mongering to make some other point. No American will remember the message of the ad, just the nightmare possibility that next time it will be 100 planes. Of course, there will not be a next time.

We HOPE that there will not be a next time.....

cashcow said:
JVsearch said:

It'll be different next time and to think it won't happen again makes us as vulnerable and clueless as last time.

marcusnieman said:
Over here, PETA (people for the ethical treatment of animals) run similar shock value ads. They also spraypaint fur coats being worn by people.

yeah, i'm not a fan of PETA either. I'm all for treating animals as well as possible, but in certain instances (e.g. medical testing) there isn't really any other valid alternative.

also the fact i think i'd starve without meat. :lol:

marcusnieman said:
cashcow said:
JVsearch said:

It'll be different next time and to think it won't happen again makes us as vulnerable and clueless as last time.

That was my only point - there wont be 100 planes on crash courses with US cities. Other stuff, well, there's no doubt about that, glad it's not my job to figure it out.

Dave_Mc said:
marcusnieman said:

yeah, i'm not a fan of PETA either. I'm all for treating animals as well as possible, but in certain instances (e.g. medical testing) there isn't really any other valid alternative.

I knew a guy who would always annoy vegetarians by asking them some stuff about their beliefs and then put the boot in with this one: "If we're not supposed to eat animals, why do they taste like meat?". Yeah it's dumb, but maybe a little bit funny? :)

JVsearch said:
Dave_Mc said:
marcusnieman said:

I knew a guy who would always annoy vegetarians by asking them some stuff about their beliefs and then put the boot in with this one: "If we're not supposed to eat animals, why do they taste like meat?". Yeah it's dumb, but maybe a little bit funny? :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hehe. it's funny as long as the person using it knows it's daft... what's scary is that sometimes people use arguments equivalent to that in all seriousness... :lol:

JVsearch said:
usually good, but with this one, on top of all the other stuff, the message just isn't clear enough.
Yup. I guess they wanted to show that the climate change were going to provoque much more death than the 9/11 but the conparison isn't so accurate that's why it fails. Compare a natural disaster with a terrorist attack leads to nowhere.

Back