What's the record for most expensive guitar ever?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scunny

Reaction score
Was just astonished to read a link on another thread to a 1959 Gibson Les Paul with a price tag of about ?280,000 :eek: :eek: :eek:

So I wondered, what's the most valuable guitar you've ever played/ seen/ heard of?
________
Yamaha RD48 history

Clapton's "Blackie" Strat sold for just under 1 million - ?s I think, not $. I believe that was the record at the time, & it was sold for EC's Crossroads charity in the Caribbean, so that might have boosted the bidding.

The other really expensive one was Peter Green's iconic Les Paul. Green chose to sell it to Gary Moore. You would think that Moore (not exactly a poor man, I assume) would treasure that for the rest of his life, but no, he sold it, then whinged and bitched because the guy he sold it to sold it for more money. What a surprise! As if you have any right to complain when a guitar you sell gets sold again!

I heard a million mentioned as a figure for the resale of the Green LP, but I'd have to look it up to confirm that (if I can find the magazine).

Ah, it was dollars? I couldn't remember, I've loaned the EC biography to my tame guitar tech, and the info is in there. 8)

Saw Peter Green's / Gary Moore's "Greenie" at the Dallas Guitar Show and heard Rick Derringer (who had his own booth across the aisle) play it. Made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Note card in the case said it was valued at "seven figures". I've got pictures of it somewhere....I'll have find them and send them.

marcusnieman said:
Saw Peter Green's / Gary Moore's "Greenie" at the Dallas Guitar Show

Please don't refer to it as "Gary Moore's Greenie". He was just a temporary, unworthy, money-grabbing, ungrateful short-term owner. What a piece of ****.... :evil:

marcusnieman said:
Saw Peter Green's / Gary Moore's "Greenie" at the Dallas Guitar Show and heard Rick Derringer (who had his own booth across the aisle) play it. Made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Note card in the case said it was valued at "seven figures". I've got pictures of it somewhere....I'll have find them and send them.

I miss the Dallas show; don't have anything like that here on the frozen tundra

We'll be glad to see those pics :)

stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:

Please don't refer to it as "Gary Moore's Greenie". He was just a temporary, unworthy, money-grabbing, ungrateful short-term owner. What a piece of ^&*(.... :evil:

Sorry....my bad. Simply included him by association.

marcusnieman said:
stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:

Please don't refer to it as "Gary Moore's Greenie". He was just a temporary, unworthy, money-grabbing, ungrateful short-term owner. What a piece of ^&*(.... :evil:

Sorry....my bad. Simply included him by association.

Here is Peter Green's "Greenie"

CIMG0732.jpg

It was formerly the Jimi Hendrix "Woostock" strat at around half a million but if it's ever resold it should well exceed "Blackie's" winning bid.

I read that SRVs #1 (that Jimmy now owns),someone offered him ?1 million for it,and he turned it down :wink:

I have played and owned a 1959 White strat with original case,it cost me ?60 and i made a killing i sold it 6mts later for ?80 back in 1970/71 :-?

This is all interesting stuff.

The difference to note from the post that started this thread and the posts that have followed is the lack of any 'celebrity status' the of '59 Les Paul. Would this be the most expensive 'book price' for a guitar?
________
Ford Motor Company of Argentina

59er on E-Bay UK going for ?229.000.00 :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1959-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-STANDARD-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ310033047598QQihZ021QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a vintage guitar auction site that'll give us an idea of what the going rates are (don't believe what you see at guitar shows and ebay). I'm drooling over the 64 SG:

http://www.100percentvintageauctions.com/

scunny said:
Thanks, but can't get the vintage auction link to work :-?

yeah, me too! That sucks because it is a cool site. Maybe its down for maint or something. Here's the myspace link for it.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=29753657

Most expensive axe I've seen was the PRS Dragon ?23'000 uk.
When I worked in my mates guitar shop there was a Jimmy Page Les Paul
signature retail ?2000 sold at full price I've been lucky olny ever paid few hundred for my guitars and my fantastic Tokai was one of the cheapest I ever owned BARGAIN :p

Latest posts

Back