• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for early/mid eighties Tokai es335 replica.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie-Stian

Reaction score
Hello !
I am not going to buy today, as I just got a new guitar, but a month or two into the new year will probably be the right time. If you do not have a guitar for sale, I would like to hear from all of you who are lucky enough to play/own one.

The new ES120s in natural looks stunning... Do they compare to the earlier models ?

Stian

Yerst my learned friend. There are a couple of pictures of fancy headstock designs up on the main site. That'll be the blonde and sunburst together you can see there.

I must admit that the new ones look a little plastic. Not too sure about the cutaway bouts either. Pre 1985 are quite hard to find. I remember that Wizard guitars had one in stock. They wanted silly money though.

Hi !
I?ve seen the inlaid hedstocks, and although it does look a bit funny on an otherwise quite plain guitar, it would not bother me much if the price was right.

What i find appealing with the new ES120 is that it comes in nitro cellulose laqer. The plastic looks will probably not last forever like the standard finish on the ES100 will.

Do you know if the holes for the new japanese trussrod-covers will fit a gibson bellshaped cover without mods ?

Anyone familiar with the new tokai electronics ? Unpleasant job to change parts on an 335 style.... :(

Did you see the Burny 335 on Ebay ? It had bound F-holes, but otherwise it was quite nice..... Ever tried one ?

Stian

Hi Boogie-Stian,
I picked up an ES120 (natural finish) on ebay a couple of months ago,and with a little TLC turned out to be a fantastic guitar. :D
At first I thought the neck pickup was a little disapointing but with a little adjustment and heavier strings (11's) it now sounds fine.
If you decide to buy one you will not be disapointed. I think the workmanship is on par with the big G. :wink:and at a third of the price!!

A replica 59' truss rod cover fitted my 81' LS100J perfectly.

Not sure about the new models though.

Hope this helps.....

Oldflame - was that an official Gibson Historic TRC, or another aftermarket brand?

I know the standard Gibbo ones aren't a perfect fit and I've been wondering about getting a vintage-type one for a while now.

No, it was copied from an original 50's and is very accurate. Fits my Tokai and also tried it on a 63' 345 and a couple of other Japanese guitars.

Latest posts

Back