• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New member looking for

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maystar

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am a new member to the forum, although I have been visiting the site every now and again to try to educate myself about MIJ guitars and Tokai in particular.

I HAD been giving serious consideration to purchasing a Gibson R9, although friends have reported that the quality from Gibson can be hit or miss. From my limited experience of LP Standards, some are good and others less so. So, I have now opted to see if I can find a Tokai because I have only read good things about their quality control. The only downside I am finding is that I can't seem to find any top end Tokais in the UK to pick from.

Do any forum members have something which might fit the bill, or can advise me on shops/suppliers who stock what I am looking for?

Many thanks in advance.

Jim

welcome to the forum maystar, are you specifically looking for a new tokai?
for the price of a new R9, you could go for an early eighties LS80 or higher,
these guitars seem to have a very high reputation, it would pay you to have a close look at 'villagers' site, he's always got a good selection.
i believe other forum members have obtained their new tokais direct from
TOKAI, not as hard as it sounds by all accounts, must admit, it is difficult to get a new tokai in the uk, ROCKEMMUSIC, used to be a distributor, but i'm not sure if they still do tokais, worth contacting them.
good luck, let us know how you get on.

Welcome Maystar. Is it a new or secondhand guitar you are after? If it's a secondhand model, I think you will struggle to find something on par with a Gibson historic. If you want to buy new, there are music stores in Germany and Spain as well as the UK. Problem with the UK models is that they have a small ridge in the headstock, which means they're not strictly 'open book'. Good luck with the search and let us know what you go for.

Dear Jonah, Rebar & Hekdesiel,

Many thanks to all of you for your replies. Since my original message, I have been continuing to research MIJs and trying to find a suitable instrument. Whilst doing this, I have concluded that a good quality second hand LS model would be ideal - given the drop in residuals on buying new. Trying to keep to the specs of an R9, if anyone has something with a one piece body and flamed top (eg LS200) , please feel free to contact me. UK headstock wouldn't be ideal, but not a deal breaker - WHY?

Finally, as I am relatively new to the world of MIJ guitars, if anyone has another instrument for sale on par with an LS 200, please get in touch with details so that I can do my homework and consider a possible deal.

Cheers

Jim

You can get an early 80s/late 70s LS80 for 1/3 the price of an R9. And you know they aren't chambered. ;)

Latest posts

Back