• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: 1981 Tokai ES 100 - Sold!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frederikb

Reaction score
Great looking and playing 1981 Tokai ES 100 up for grabs. Nice thick neck, beautiful woods, nitro lacquer and just overall awesomeness. Bought from Villager a couple of years ago. Original pickups have been professionally replaced with Bare Knuckle Mules. Great sounding pups and obviously and upgrade. Original pups are included as well as a new Thomann hardcase. Frets are worn but still have life left - I would say at least a couple of years (see pics). Still well playable though! The sticker inside the f-hole is gone. So I don't know if it is a Jazz or Rock model. The original pickups sounded more jazz/blues than rock but that's just a personal observation... It weighs 3.790 grammes and the thickness of the neck is as follows:

1st fret 21.77 mm
12th fret 25.30 mm

More pics http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/frederikbr/library/1981 Tokai ES 100

That will either be an ES100R(ock) or ES100J(azz) - which would be indicated on the orange label in the body. Doesn't look like the label is there. Either way, a stellar guitar and first year issue of the ES model.

Those are great guitars, I also have a 1981 ES-100 GLWTS!

@Marcus I have logged several 1980 models.

I meant the 100's, but all 3 es-150R that i have had were covered, although this could have been aftermarket, as i never checked, do you have a catalogue pic of an uncovered 150 anywhere jacco?, also does anyone know the definitive difference between the pu in the R and J models?

still looking for the elusive ES-200....

villager said:
also does anyone know the definitive difference between the pu in the R and J models?...

I don't know the technical specs on both.... all I (we) know is that the rock pickups are hotter than the jazz pickups.

Out of curiosity,

I presume the quality is on par or better than Gibson... but how do people find their size comfort-wise?

Have any of yous compared them to 339s (the smaller cousin) ? Although I am not sure if Tokai produces such.

trio.jpg

Size wise, comfort wise, weight wise, they're the same as a 335. Necks on the 81 are chunky and certainly not the slim 60's profile.

No, Tokai doesn't build a 339 body type. (That's a nice ES330 in that photo above)

marcusnieman said:
That guitar is a real prize if anyone is sitting on the fence debating whether to pull the trigger or not. :wink:

I agree :wink:

Someone wanted to know the thickness of the neck:

1st fret 21.77 mm
12th fret 25.30 mm

Back