• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: PRICE LOWERED! early 80's Tokai 'Goldstar Sound' Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonstoops

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have decided to sell my early 80's Tokai "Goldstar Sound" Strat copy.

It has a one-piece maple neck with an awesome feeling profile - thicker than average, with a very slight V shape - my favorite! All the pickups, electronics, and hardware are 100% original, and all function perfectly (though the middle pickup tone-pot is a tiny bit scratchy sometimes - nothing some contact cleaner wouldn't fix). As you'd expect for a guitar this age, it has a few dings here and there around the sides of the body, as well as a couple very light scuffs on the back. But as the pictures below will show, unless you're specifically looking for the imperfections, the guitar looks practically brand-new (which is surprising since it sat piled under a bunch of stuff in a stranger's garage for most of it's life). It has recently been professionally setup, and definitely has that played-in feel you don't get from new guitars.

I think it's incredible what-lengths Tokai went through when they were copying the early 50's/60's Strats (the pickups, the headstock profile, the finishing technique, even the original Kluson tuners are to exact detail - ridiculous!), but that of course is what makes these guitars feel and sound closer to a 50's/60's Strat than most anything else out there. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly hesitant to sell it. I'm specifically not plugging it in during the time of the sale, otherwise I'll be reminded how incredible it sounds, and I know I won't sell it! :)

I posted a thread in the general guitar page asking what a guitar like this is worth these days, and while general consensus was that they're worth between $700-$1000+, most everyone agreed that these are amazing guitars, and should be (and one day probably will be) worth more.

So with that in mind, I'm asking $720, paypal'd and shipped.

Let me know if you have any questions, offers, or recommendations on good pizza in SoCal. :) Thanks!

Pictures below. More detailed photos can be found in the slideshow here: Tokai Gallery

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

That's a TST-60 no less, and easily worth the asking price. The pickups should be stamped either plain "V" or "E". A very nice guitar indeed, good luck with the sale.

Back