• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Greco Super Real SA1200 - 1980 very rare and near mint

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StIves

Reaction score
You guys here know what you are looking at so won't go on too much. Here are some pics:-

http://www.monkeyview.net/id/4553/default/index.vhtml#

These were only made for two years and in limited numbers - seem to be much rarer than the much sought after brother Lester EGF1200 and in some ways more true to detail in construction (that EGF LP has a flame veneer top).

Probably the nearest thing you will ever get to a real vintage 335 for under two grand - which is what you would be paying for the current Gibson production line model that doesn't come close . If you put the two side by side I know which you would choose in a second. Incredible period correct features and beautifully hand crafted - how many Gibson Custom Shop models have a Brazillian Rosewood board? Simply feels and plays like the real deal. This 1980 model also has a Gibbo Pineapple logo on the headstock (as opposed to the later Samurai sword (?) on 81 models).

I bought this on eBay about six years ago and have not seen another appear there since. Comes in original case and candy - I dont have the original pickguard but have a correct 59 style replacement which I have never fitted as I finished up preferring the look of the guitar without - also incuded.

Looking for ?1800.

These appear not very often on Digimart (Japan) - none at present - but with shipping and tax you would be looking at something closer to ?2500.

Forgot to add - for some reason my camera always brings out a strong red band with sunburst finished guitars - its isn't as pronounced as in the photos. It looks like the 335 on the cover of Adrian Ingrams book "The Gibson 335" - will add pic.

Sorry, did go on a bit above with the description - but it really is that good.

First a EGF-1200 and now this...I go crazy
I can resist the EGF as I already have one but in this case... 8)

Don't resist!!! :D

I can assure you they are GREAT guitars........ 8)

Had I the cash, I would have jumped on this one already, but since I don't, and I guess possible trades are not mentioned............ :cry:

No way :cry: I felt in love for a Navigator with a killer top.Impossible to buy them all :lol:

Very nice guitar and very hard to find here in Japan.
Just a question, are those Dry-Z pickups or something else? I thought the Zs all had the black "Z" stamp on the back.

Hi guys,

Re the pus - I bought the guitar on the understanding it was all original - it was listed as having Dry Z s - they have a Z engraved on the baseplate (LHS in pic shown) - most I've seen (in photos) have a Z stamped on in black ink - Im no expert here but I believe they are Dry Z's - there are guys on this site that Im sure would know - Mark?? are you out there?

Re trades - Im moving house and thinning out, raising funds - would love to keep if not. Try me though - I could be interested.

My Greco SA-1200 also has the engraved Z, so those are definitely Dry Z pickups.

StIves said:
Hi guys,

Re the pus - I bought the guitar on the understanding it was all original - it was listed as having Dry Z s - they have a Z engraved on the baseplate (LHS in pic shown) - most I've seen (in photos) have a Z stamped on in black ink - Im no expert here but I believe they are Dry Z's - there are guys on this site that Im sure would know - Mark?? are you out there?

Re trades - Im moving house and thinning out, raising funds - would love to keep if not. Try me though - I could be interested.

Thanks wknight2 !!

Not much out there on the www on this issue but all solder joints look original and I believe that the first number code "2"denotes Dry Z.

Much appreciated,

Dave

wknight2 said:
My Greco SA-1200 also has the engraved Z, so those are definitely Dry Z pickups.

That is cool to know. There is an SA-1200 I saw up close in a store here listed with changed pickups from 82, but maybe they are just the same engraved Z's starting with "2". I'll have to take a closer look.

Good luck with the sale, that looks very nice!

Think this code only applied to the six digit numbers 77-82 - but Zs seem to fall into that period and start with a "2".

Details below are from

http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=768

Greco and Ibanez pickup serial numbers consisting of 6 numbers from 1977 to 1982.

First number 1, 2, etc = Maxon Pickup code
Second number = Year (9=1979)
Third and Fourth number = Month (01=Jan ... 12=Dec)
Fifth and sixth number = Day of Month (01-31)

There's also Dry Zs out there starting with a '5'.
Strange idea and not validated: maybe the first digit is a code for bobbin colour?

Latest posts

Back