• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB :-) ceriatone 18 watt TMB or Like?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo hobo

Reaction score
Hello ,I am in need of a low watt valve head or combo! I have not had amp for a over 3 months now, after selling my old one.
I am getting fustrated ,need to express my self loudly :lol:
I really do not need much power 18 watts or under,valve only!
Head or combo?

What have you got !

MOJO HOBO

That is absolutely surreal. I was just looking at the Ceriatone kits and decided that 18w is a pretty appropriate volume and dimed gain. Gonna use an attenuator though :)

Weber also do an 18w kit I think....

Hi MONO,
YEAH! I said i was thinking about a matamp ,but i just do not know :-?
I e-mailed nic at ceriatone to ask his advice ,I was interested in the 36 watt head with power switch hi-lo.
He was very helpful and a nice guy ,He recommended the 18 watt TMB over the 36 watt to match my needs.
He did recommened the jtm-45,which gives out 36 watts as well,so just too loud and powerful for my neighbours :evil:
I would love a jtm-45 any vintage valve head ,sound city,hi -watt.roost.
But the clips i have seen of the 18 watt is the sound after ,a small plexi?

mojo hobo

Yeah that is pretty much the impression I got aswell.
Also, the Ceriatone kits are pretty open to modification - the hi/lo switch as you said, and you can also cascade the channels into one another to for an added gain stage.

Pretty versatile!

Like youself,I was wondering about an 18 watter,but then I got into the Matamp way of thinking! Ended up with a used Minimat 2 and just bought a new 1x12 to match it ! It sounds superb,is brilliant for home use yet is very loud all the way up! Jeff and the gang at Matamp could not be more helpful and were great to deal with.Where else do you go and chat with the people that make your amps etc,let alone see it being made for you!
To be recommended and supported I feel,especially in this day of mass produced limited lifespan junk!

glaister3 said:
Where else do you go and chat with the people that make your amps etc,let alone see it being made for you!
To be recommended and supported I feel,especially in this day of mass produced limited lifespan junk!

Cornell. Dennis will chat for hours about amps in general, & his own in particular.

http://www.dc-developments.com/

Hi Mojo Hobo
I second the MATAMP idea as I am a user too. Thing is I would plump for the First Lady 1x12 combo this a 7watt class A amp and has more than enough grunt (remember Matamp rate there amps CLEAN) and will put out around 27watts when driven. This is also a development of their C7 Amp that won a Golg award from the Guitarist Magazine. Putting it simpley one of the best amps in the WORLD within its class I would put it up against ANY of the boutique USA built amps. Give Jeff or Hayden a ring tell them that Iain from Burnley put you onto them and they will more than look after you. By the way if you can get there GO TO THE FACTORY and try out all their demo chassis and speaker wall

http://www.matamp.co.uk/home.htm

If you want to go gown the Marshall clone type (Ceritone) look no further than MJW AMPS in Derbyshire. Martin who own's the company is an ex Matamp builder and builds the Ceritone kits to the highest standard, just give him a ring and he will know excactly what you will need

http://www.martamp.com/

Sorry Mojo I forgot one Wienbrock Amplifiers

These guys build some SERIOUSLY good Fender inspired amps, quite a new Company but already getting their products into the top name outlets (Sounds Great, Cookes, Mansons etc)
Rob and John are the guys to speak to and again welcome visitors tro the factory to try out the range (By appointment only) they are based in Sowerby Bridge just over the hill from Matamp really so a great day out if you organise it properly

http://www.wienbrockamps.com/

Just sold this last week:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120527511346&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

I would also recommend EVA, English Valve Amps if it's the TMB vibe you're after, great quality and reasonable prices.

If you are on a budget have a look at www.valvepower.co.uk

^ yeah, the valvepower is very nice, I have one. The powerscaling/vvvr is extremely useful if you're planning on also playing at low volumes.

heard good things about most of the other options mentioned in this thread, just haven't been able to try them... :lol:

Head all the way.
I have a 18 watt I ordered with a aluminium chasiis and to put on a head.
It?s a very good amp with a great rock?n?roll sound and with a tremolo channel very useful,also you can disconect tremolo pluggina a footswitch and get a clearen sound(not so much) than channel 1. Stock transformers are really good,I replaced OT with Shinrock and not a big change.
Be carefull with the tube you put on tremolo channel however,you will need a quiet one because circuit oscillation caracteristic....
And of course NOS valves,please.....Mullard or Miniwatt Phillips,Valvo or the like if you can....

Hello everyone,
Thanks to everyone for their posts and opinions,MAN! :-? I had made my mind up on the ceriatone 18 watt,Now? So many quality amps to consider?

EY UP SCHOEY,Beautiful tokai yuv got :wink: Nice MATAMP as well.MMMH!
Another lancy. :lol:
GLAISTER3,Thanks for making me even more indecisive,I really need to consider the matamp again.

JOHNA,looks like our timing was out of sync by a couple of weeks,I would have snapped up that head from you **** :(

Keep your opinions coming and stayed tuned!

MOJO HOBO

HELLO Chris,
Sunny,windy las vegas twin city, The gambling and holiday,Stag-night ,hen-night capital of the whole of england!BLACKPOOL 8) :D

MOJO HOBO

lol Mojo Hobo, are you The Big One !

If you were a bit closer to the Breezeblock Stadium in the land of liquid sunshine, Notlob. I'd have said pop round to try out my Littlerock Matamp or 1 watt Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine help you find what your looking for

Chris

Hey up Mojo hobo
Now here we have an origional Lasher (Donkey Lasher).. :D
Same goes for me re; Matamp First Lady you are welcome to come and try if you want, make your way down the M55 and along the M65 to the land of the Blond Witch (Burnley).
If you fancy doing the day trip I mentioned to Matamp and Wienbrock give me a shout and Ill give you the directions and introductions. Believe me you really should try and do this if you can, it really is an education. Great British back street engineering a la 50 years ago

+1 Schoey.Back st engineering producing BRITISH, quality ,boutique products at bargain,yes,bargain prices! Why people compromise their tone with fizzy sounding amps for only a slightly lower cost (in the short term ) I don`t know.These makers shouldn`t be able to keep up with domestic demand when you see the quality of their amps!

Ok, I'll throw my hat into the ring.
Came across this little trumpet last night, very intruiging!

http://brownnote.net/lite18.html

The Brown Note is a great option. I have a friend who built his own D'Lite and is very happy with the results. 8)

If you need yet another option...........
If you come south, or North for London Readers, I have yet another option you can try. I have a very impressive clone of a Trainwreck Express that you can try. Rather more wattage than you might want, a very conservative 35 Watts, but quite an experience. :wink:

Funny mind meld :evil: As spock would say!I have been looking at the brown -note 18 watt lite llb kit just last night.
It seems that the brown-note kits are amongst the best sounding kits around.
I just made my mind up on a BN and was searching e-bay,when i came across a great little amp ending within a hour,so i went for it.
I just lost out on this little amp last night, Lost it by ?1.75.Boy ,i was so annoyed with myself and my mean arse last bid.
It was by a guy in the states called derek raegan,who has this little valve amp business called UNIONJACK45.COM.
His amps look awesome,top grade trannies,sozo caps,beautiful design and layout.
I was bidding on a 18 watt 1974x lite head with a master volume.which he calls the woodies or the ikea amp :-?

Heres the website link:Just look at that jtm-45 replica,He will make and mod any of his circuits to meet your specs.I think he will start to get very busy soon ,when the word gets out about the quality of his amps,A sleeping gaint :lol:

http://www.unionjack45.com/

I like the look of the brown-note 18 watt lite,comes in a nice price with sozo caps ,But the thing that is bugging me is as standard it does not come with a master volume ,there is a mod & shecmatic on the brown-note forum.

Anybody got a brown-note or a unionjack.

MOJO HOBO

Latest posts

Back