• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Set Gibson T-Top White

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cino.and

Reaction score
One set of original Gibson T-Top white
Have "T" in middle on top of pick-up
350 euro + shipping

[/img]

Your photos :wink:
Pick-up are in very good condition
No scratch or damage.
Overall a nice example of rare Set of Gibson T-TOP

BRIDGE

NECK

[/img]

Noticed that the pickups in my 1981 burny doubleneck have the same markings only double black coils......'T' along with h2 and h3 on respective coils.Can I assume these are gibson T tops as well???

Will posts pics later today

PA190041.jpg

No these are T top copies made by Maxon and fitted to Arias,Westones and other guitars made by Matsumoku.Gabe.

bluejeannot said:
No these are T top copies made by Maxon and fitted to Arias,Westones and other guitars made by Matsumoku.Gabe.

Thanks,what tells you this....just for my own knowledge

hunter, your bobbin tops have two of the three major mold marks of the double white set; only the three circles on each bobbin are missing

I don't see why any company would 'copy' a T top bobbin and leave off such a potentially identifying mold mark

then of course, all molds are not created equal; I've worked with injection molding equipment in some previous employment

the base should hold some clues ..................

Yeah, original T-Top are like these.

"After PAF pickups were gone, the patent# pickups were next and used from 1962 to 1965. Then from 1965 to 1975 (note overlap) the next Gibson humbucker is known as the "T bucker" or "T top". They are called this because of a "T" that is part of the molding on the front of the two pickup bobbins. These also had the decal with "Patent No 2,737,842" (still the patent number of Les Paul's trapeze tailpiece). The only way to see the "T" is to remove the pickup cover. A small change in late patent# pickups was white PVC bobbin wires instead of black (black was used on pre-1965 humbuckers). Also T buckers can use either slot or phillips head screws to hold the bobbins to the base plate."

tpick1.jpg

Thanks for the info....was excited I maybe lucked into a pair :-? ....no harm done anyhow.Was never sold to me as "t" tops in the first place.

Good luck on the sale Cino:D

Latest posts

Back