FS: Greco Dry Z PAF clones - SOLD

Looking for a particular Tokai? Selling a Tokai or other gear? post your ad here!!! Dealers please contact Ned before posting.

Moderator: ned

RyanC
Guitar God
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: USA

FS: Greco Dry Z PAF clones - SOLD

Post by RyanC » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:30 pm

Sold to forum member!
Last edited by RyanC on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ikkyu
Guitar God
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:32 am
Location: Italy

Post by Ikkyu » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:05 am

I'd like to know more about 'em.
You can answer here, or use a pm or email.
Thank you.

20 century boy
Guitar God
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue May 06, 2003 1:45 pm
Location: Paris

Post by 20 century boy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:23 am

Koubayashi wrote:Talk about how a hype can double the value on a guitar :D
Does it work for pick up too? :D
nankurunai sa!

RyanC
Guitar God
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: USA

Post by RyanC » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:43 am

20 century boy wrote:
Koubayashi wrote:Talk about how a hype can double the value on a guitar :D
Does it work for pick up too? :D
Very interesting comment. I'm sure we'd all love to hear about the personal experience you've had with Dry Z's that has led you to the conclusion that they are not worthy of the overwhelming praise they've received on sites from around the world - not only on this forum.

Please, do tell. :roll:

Cali Girl
Guitar God
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: USA

Post by Cali Girl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:29 am

RyanC wrote:Very interesting comment. I'm sure we'd all love to hear about the personal experience you've had with Dry Z's that has led you to the conclusion that they are not worthy of the overwhelming praise they've received on sites from around the world - not only on this forum.

Please, do tell. :roll:
I'm not that well informed when it comes to the high end Greco models (too risky a purchase if you are not an expert), but I have never heard anything of Dry Z pickups except for a few things I have read here.

I would be interested to learn more about them and what makes them special if the info is out there.

duff
Guitar God
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:03 pm
Location: antwerp, belgium

Post by duff » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:43 am

why are they potted when they are supposed to be a paf clones ?

JohnA
Guitar God
Posts: 4176
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 am
Location: Leicester UK

Post by JohnA » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:06 am

duff wrote:why are they potted when they are supposed to be a paf clones ?
The same reason as lots of the originals were potted by the owners, so they don't whissle with loud high-gain settings, the effect on the tone of the pickup when potted is close to nothing, I've had pickups potted and they sound exactly the same afterwards.

The reason DRY-Z's command such a high price is they sound great and are as rare as original PAF's which cost a whole lot more.

RyanC
Guitar God
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: USA

Post by RyanC » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:11 am

I would guess they were potted some time after being manufactured, I assume because they had gone microphonic - unless Greco potted the Z's that were going into their hollowbody SA-1200's (but I have no idea if that is the case).

It's a very common remedy on a common issue with older wound pickups. The effect potting has on tone is debated to great length (as are all things related to tone I suppose). Some say it muffles the pickup, some say a more rounded tone from the wood itself becomes apparent.

Thanks for your question.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:21 am

JohnA wrote: The reason DRY-Z's command such a high price is they sound great and are as rare as original PAF's which cost a whole lot more.
As rare as original PAFs?

:o :-?

Mike

RyanC
Guitar God
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: USA

Post by RyanC » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:24 am

stratman323 wrote:
JohnA wrote: The reason DRY-Z's command such a high price is they sound great and are as rare as original PAF's which cost a whole lot more.
As rare as original PAFs?

:o :-?

Mike
That's certainly debatable Mike. However, I will say I know of more original PAF's for sale right now than Dry Z's :D And we won't bother to compare prices...

JohnA
Guitar God
Posts: 4176
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 am
Location: Leicester UK

Post by JohnA » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:25 am

stratman323 wrote:
JohnA wrote: The reason DRY-Z's command such a high price is they sound great and are as rare as original PAF's which cost a whole lot more.
As rare as original PAFs?

:o :-?

Mike
Do a search on ebay and YJ for PAF's and DRY-Z's there are a lot more PAF's up for sale. PAF's were used by Gibson from '56 to the mid '60's on different models, the DRY-Z's were used on 3 or 4 Greco models for two years.

A set of PAF covers is up for sale for more than Ryan is asking for his DRY-Z's and I bet the DRY-Z's sound better :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-ORIGINAL- ... 1|294%3A50
Last edited by JohnA on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

20 century boy
Guitar God
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue May 06, 2003 1:45 pm
Location: Paris

Post by 20 century boy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:26 am

RyanC wrote:
20 century boy wrote:
Koubayashi wrote:Talk about how a hype can double the value on a guitar :D
Does it work for pick up too? :D
Very interesting comment. I'm sure we'd all love to hear about the personal experience you've had with Dry Z's that has led you to the conclusion that they are not worthy of the overwhelming praise they've received on sites from around the world - not only on this forum.

Please, do tell. :roll:
Ho I'm sure they're great. But that sort of price for a pair of used pickups... You can find the best pickups available for half the price (probably just as good). I understand the price is dictated by the rareness of those but that's all it is. That's what the forums lead to. :)

If the good guitars are getting more and more hard to find, the good pickups are everywhere. We live the golden age of the pickups. Pickup makers opens everywhere. You can find exact replicas of old PAF or pickups made to your own specs...
nankurunai sa!

RyanC
Guitar God
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: USA

Post by RyanC » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:40 am

20 century boy wrote:Ho I'm sure they're great. But that sort of price for a pair of used pickups...
I completely understand your point, but couldn't the same be said of original PAFs?

In the realm of tone, or what I hear versus what you hear, there can be no definitive answer. All I can say is that I have personally owned SD Antiquities, JM Rolph Pretenders, and Lollar Imperials. All were very good - but the Dry Z's are better without question IMHO.
You can find the best pickups available for half the price (probably just as good).
Spending $400 for "probably just as good" makes the extra $200 seem more than fair to me. Granted, as the seller I have a bit of a bias. :D

Cheers!

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:54 pm

This set was firs sold for a bit over 60000yen.
Then suddenly they were back for business and went for a bit over 30000 just last week.

Compared to original PAFs? Well, it is hard to say. The magnets lose strength over the years and so on....The real PAF, those that are sought after were made from 57 to 60. The 61-63 are not nearly as rare or expensive.

Dry Z sounds really great and I can't think of any pickups made after 1960 that are as good (for Les Paul). The original is always the original but they cost more than 3000$ a piece. My friend lost and original 57 PAF. He removed the original pickups from his 57 LP and when he was about to reinstall them he could only find one of them :D A year later or so he found it in a box in the mess!! I have compared plenty high end Grecos with real late 50's LP's and they are far closer the original than modern Gibsons. Both in sound and feeling. Too bad only the 1800 has solid flametop :D

Edit: Just found an original 1959 PAF for sale: 4500$ if you are interested :D

But no Greco can beat the feeling of opening an old case and get the smell 50 years of blood sweat and tears.

Shitty mobile pic but you can see what it is (its a LP with real PAF)
Image

MIJvintage
Guitar God
Posts: 2984
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:08 am
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA
Contact:

Post by MIJvintage » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:16 am

what do the members here that have played Dry Z pups think about the potted vs. non potted issue, as far as Dry Z pups only?

Thanks
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... ij_vintage

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis

Post Reply