• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WANTED Dry-Z or VH-1 early series

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right: has been. Now reasonable price could be 300 not more than that. I have to play the pups, not eat 'em.
8)

I saw a set on eBay earlier this year that, IIRC, was pretty hot (upper 8k bridge, low 8k neck) and double-creme bobbins. They went for under $500, and I regret not getting them. One thing that's always perplexed me about Dry Zs is that they're severely wax-potted. Typically, wax-potted pickups don't have the same subtle microphonic overtones as non-potted pickups, but maybe Maxon took that into consideration and compensated for it in a different way. I'd be interested to hear a report from someone who's dissected a dead one (magnet charge, wire used, etc).

Ikkyu said:
You're right: has been. Now reasonable price could be 300 not more than that. I have to play the pups, not eat 'em.
8)

What I am saying is.. in the last 2 weeks what I have sold 2 pairs of Dry-Z's on eBay for $475 and $575....and they were sold to the U.S and U.K.... and I had offers from Japan.......$300 is dreaming at this point.. Unless you can find them in Japan.. and that is rare enough..

There were a couple of sets in the last few months on evil bay, that sold for less than that. I had doubts about their genuinity, as well as other folks, but Fletch confirmed they were original.
We'll see.

you wont get dry-Z for 300$

they now cost more than that in Japan...

last set went for 26000 yen

which is 290 USD,

add taxes shipping and dealers profit, and I think $450 will be your minimum, if you are lucky, but they are getting rarer and rarer, so good luck, I wouldn't sell a pair for less than 500$$ as there are plenty of people who will pay that price..

villager said:
you wont get dry-Z for 300$

they now cost more than that in Japan...

last set went for 26000 yen

which is 290 USD,

add taxes shipping and dealers profit, and I think $450 will be your minimum, if you are lucky, but they are getting rarer and rarer, so good luck, I wouldn't sell a pair for less than 500$$ as there are plenty of people who will pay that price..

Found a set in a junk lot last year. Two Dry and a handful of other Greco pickups for 11000yen :D On the other hand I once bought a EGF1200 which had the original pickups exchanged :cry:
What goes around comes around I guess :D

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h126109896

Thank you, friend, but I think it's too tricky to get a set on Yahoo Japan. I should go through Rinkya but I wouldn't like to.
However I think I passed on japan pickups. I'd have liked to get VH-1s but I won't spend my time looking for them or waiting for them to come out, same on Dry-Zs, so I'm probably getting a set of new boutique pickups that sound very good as well.
There's a list a couple of winders who make very nice pups.

The Yen is very strong atm. No good ordering from Japan atm, at least not for me.
I'll be ordering a pair of Dr Vintage soon from Wolftone. :D

Those are really great pups, Bart, but I don't know what's going on with Wolfetone. They're available in his website, but it seems he's not making them anymore.
?

Oh hm, I emailed him not long ago and they seem to be available. Wierd..

How long ago? I emailed him as well but I never got any answer. Maybe because it was around Christmas, but he should have got the email.
Who knows... I'll try to email him again and see what happens.
Anyways Dave Stephens makes great pickups as well: in case I'll get those.

Try email him again! Maybe your email didn't get through.

Howdy Bart. I was right: the Dr.Vintages are no more available. I've checked his website and it seems he updated it. The Dr.Vintage are not listed anymore, as well as the "Legends".
I haven't listened to the Greywolf, wich are available, but I guess the only way to find the Dr.Vintages is to find used ones.
This stuff about pups is becoming quite annoying.

WHAT! Well now we are going to see them listed on ebay for $1000 each, soon the hype is going to hit.
I emailed him not long ago but nothing definite about buying them soo....

Back