• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB Burny Gold Top Super Grade LP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooticus

Reaction score
I missed out on a gorgeous Burny Gold Top in the 80's. I borrowed it for a few gigs and fell in love, but didn't have the $$ at the time. I'm currently in search of another...

It was a humbucker model w/a great neck profile. I've seen lots of flame tops and solid color models for sale, but I've got my heart set on a Goldie.

CopyofP1010020.jpg
[/img]

It must be GT season...coz I've got a hankering for an Edwards,Greco or OBG GT.

I could take a look in Japan for you guys.
I just buy it ship it and you pay me a little fee for the trouble.
Reasonable?

I'm sure there are a few around but a Burny Super Grade Model w/original gold top finish, with the two screw truss rod cover, are pretty difficult to source, IMO

never owned a 3 screw TRC example Burny; not my cup of tea ...........

DSC01030.jpg

:D :D :D

Reborn Old LS80 with Peter Florance Voodoo '59's
Tokai made late '80's Greco

Not too much difference in sound or playability between the pair, but the Tokai has that 'special' feel about it!!

one thing I have noticed on the Tokai gold tops is the top carve is not near as correct as the Grecos

the top carve on the Tokai examples seem to have an abrupt/sharpe transistion, most notably at the tops of the pup rings & the toggle switch ring

the Grecos have a much smoother top carve that flows

MIJvintage said:
one thing I have noticed on the Tokai gold tops is the top carve is not near as correct as the Grecos

the top carve on the Tokai examples seem to have an abrupt/sharpe transistion, most notably at the tops of the pup rings & the toggle switch ring

the Grecos have a much smoother top carve that flows

That's just the light, the carve is identical on the two guitars in the pic. My Fujigen Greco's are just about the same, I think you notice it more with gold-tops.

not referring to your pic but rather a host of photos of Tokia goldies I have seen over many years; even the ones with the P-90s have the same sharp/abrubt transition in the top carve

MIJvintage said:
not referring to your pic but rather a host of photos of Tokia goldies I have seen over many years; even the ones with the P-90s have the same sharp/abrubt transition in the top carve

Funny you should say that, I have wondered whether the curve on my LS85S is "right", there's something about it that seems very slightly out.

130_3007.jpg

138_3838-1.jpg

Mike

stratman323 said:
MIJvintage said:

Funny you should say that, I have wondered whether the curve on my LS85S is "right", there's something about it that seems very slightly out.

Mike

Mike, I was actually refering to the older Tokai goldies, not the newer ones, as your's is.
Can't say for sure that I have noticed this carve issue on the newer ones like yours but then again, I don't recall seeing many, if any, newer Tokai goldies.

Nice one there with the P-90 style pups :wink:

stratman323 said:
MIJvintage said:

130_3007.jpg

138_3838-1.jpg

Mike

No offense but are you sure that is made in Japan?
Looks like made in "lets improvise land".

Back