Hard Puncher PB40??? rescued

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSlugman

Reaction score
Happy day, I just rescued this from my local second-hand store. I posted it in the "show me your bass" thread but thought I'd show what condition she's in as I got her, then during the dis-assembly/cleaning stage and the final polished loveliness I know she will become.

Totally guessing she's a PB40 from 1984????? Any help appreciated. I remember the Hard Punchers from my "big hair" days as a guitarist and freaked when I saw this in the store 5-6 weeks ago, nearly cried when she was still there last week and had butterflies in my stomach going to see if it was still there today. SCORE!

Tokai Hard Puncher PB40 by James JSlugman O'Rear, on Flickr

Dis-assembly images. Word of the day is GROSS. Lots of smoke, sweat, etc. embedded on it, especially the head stock. The metal has a light ?oxidation? coating that just feels tacky to the touch and gives me the shivers. Once that's off it's much better.

Fretboard took three scrubbings to get rid of the brown goo on it. Frets are in surprisingly good shape, I think a light polishing and she should be set.

Interesting codes found- inside the body there's a stamp reading "9=7 OW X" and on the end of the neck it reads "9=2" the second number being a hand written two (or three). Not sure.

Machine heads say 3 JAPAN except for one that has a 2. The writing is impressed onto the head stock. I can't tell any difference between them. None of the drilled mounting holes I've seen in other THPs, part of it being a low-end 40????

No markings on the pickups. Pots have "A250KΩ" written on them both. Foam is still solid and intact although one wire broke away from the solder joint at the pickup grounding plate on removal. Pickup guard is in one piece.

Enough gabbing, here's some images.

Tokai Hard Puncher by James JSlugman O'Rear, on Flickr

Nice bass and thanks for sharing the pictures. I got a nice Hard Puncher 48 a couple of years ago and love it, they are very nice basses.

Latest posts

Back