Question about a Tokai Jazz-Sound.

Discussion Area for all things on the down low.

Moderator: ned

Morgoth
Plucker

Question about a Tokai Jazz-Sound.

Post by Morgoth » Sun May 30, 2010 5:53 am

Hi everyone!
I'm new on these forums, but feel already like home though.
I have the opportunity to buy a Tokai Jazz-Sound made in 1979 (well, late 70s / early 80s). Do you think it's genuine?

Link :

http://www.zikinf.com/annonces/dispanno ... nce=545434

More pictures :

Thanks mates. :)

stratman323

Re: Question about a Tokai Jazz-Sound.

Post by stratman323 » Sun May 30, 2010 6:41 am

Morgoth wrote: Do you think it's genuine?
I think so, but I'm a mere guitarist, there are bass players here who are better able to advise you than I am. But the rosewood looks up to Tokai's usual extra high quality, & it has a matching headstock, which makes it pretty rare. Early decal & L serial number means it's from 1981 or 82, assuming the basses follow the same "rules" as the guitars.

Nice. :D

Mike

Morgoth
Plucker

Post by Morgoth » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 am

Thanks for your answer mate.

Anyone else has some thoughts about it?

Fender32
Guitar God

Post by Fender32 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:06 pm

From the pictures that you've posted, I'd say that it's 100% early late '70s/'80s Tokai Jazz Sound :) .

The thin, laminated fretboard, the swirly tort pickguard, the "L" prefix serial number, the 3-screw tuners and the headstock logo all fit. The painted headstock is a little unusual, but I expect that Tokai made a few JB45s that way, as well as with the more common plain maple headstock.

Bottom line - if it plays and sounds great, it's probably a genuine Tokai :wink: .
Certified Tokai Jazz Sound whore.

Morgoth
Plucker

Post by Morgoth » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks mate.

I eventually bought it in fact.

And yes, it plays and sounds great, the sound has even exceeded my expectations. Amazing bass!

I only discovered Tokai recently but I already know they're really great instruments.

Best bass I've ever owned, along with my former Thumb NT5 (a fine instrument too, handcrafted).

Thanks for your answers, it really removed my last doubts about it. ;)

Fender32
Guitar God

Post by Fender32 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:44 pm

Morgoth wrote:Thanks mate.

I eventually bought it in fact.

And yes, it plays and sounds great, the sound has even exceeded my expectations. Amazing bass!

I only discovered Tokai recently but I already know they're really great instruments.

Best bass I've ever owned, along with my former Thumb NT5 (a fine instrument too, handcrafted).

Thanks for your answers, it really removed my last doubts about it. ;)
Result 8) ! Welcome to the club :wink: .
Certified Tokai Jazz Sound whore.

jimmyv
Plucker

Tokai Jazz Sound

Post by jimmyv » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:19 am

Morgoth, what a great looking Jazz Sound.. I've just discovered the Tokai Jazz Sound line. Recently found an all black TJB45S from about '85. Looking for another like it with some different features. Still happy with yours? If your looking to move it please contact me!! These are much harder to find than I thought. jv