ST 100 '83 Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great,alder body sunburst. Didn`t Springy 100`s have gold hardware, if so wasn`t thi carried on to the Goldie100`s?.Could some kind hearted German speaking forum member translate the gist of the add for us shamefully monoglot Brits?(Je parle Francais,mais pas l`Alleman)

Ze translation..et voila!:wink:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Tokai-Goldstar-Sound-ST100-All-Original-High-En_W0QQitemZ160173241733QQihZ006QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mmmmmm one piece body,E-pups, Goldstar ST-100 :roll: The main difference between the 80 and 100 on springys is the gold hardware and a one piece body.No gold hardware,W stringtree not a round one,metal pickguard,ive never come across a Goldstar ST-100 like this before,or even a goldstar ST-80 come to think of it.But hey im only a novice,if it is 100% then its a very rare one

I though all Goldies were poly finish? And what's with the metal scratchplate? What is that supposed to be a copy of?

Mike

Hi Mike I know you`re the Fender expert but Ithink some very early strats ,presentation models and the like ,had gold anodised alu scratch plates ,also I recal having seen P basses with the same feature. For agood example of a famous Strat with an alu plate check out Dave Gimour`s 1950`s maple necked 0001 strat, thought to have been agift from Leo to a former employee(although there is some controversy over this. Cheers Gabe.

P.S I`ve already informed the seller that this guitar cannot be an 83 as stated ,but he has not made this info public.The Question remains though , what Goldies were fitted with E pickups and perhaps an alu scratchplate as original hardware? Gabe.

Hi all,

I am the seller. I am sorry for my lack of participation here. Actually, I received several disturbing (to me) responses to my description. I have been in a quandary as to what to do.

I will tell you all my complete history with this guitar.

First, I searched for my records of who and when I bought this guitar from, and as of now I am unable to find them. I do know this, I bought this guitar from either Hisashi, Bluesyguitars, japanoldguitars, or possibly MIJguitars, as I have bought several from those sellers, and the only Tokais that I have bought from other sellers have been single purchases, and I remember those. I really believe it was Hisashi. It was sold to me as a model 100. Koizumi wrote to my auction an told me it is not a 100. And now I see the experts here agree.

About the circa 1983. You did write to tell me this. But I stand by this fact even though the registry says it is 1984. There is documentation of this Logo being bought new in 1983. I am not saying it is 1983, that is why I used the term circa. Never the less, that part is no big deal, and I would have changed it immediately, but there were already bids, and it is not possible to change the description at that point.

I was also told from the person I bought it from that it was all original. I know this because it is a question I always ask, and it is important to me. The metal scratch plate was a cool feature to me as I have had some original Fender guitars with the exact same thing. Also, I know that you could have bought this exact configuration from Fender in 1959. This was the first year that fender offered the 3 tone burst and it was near the end of the metal plate being available. The only thing that bothered me when I got the guitar was the neck plate serial was only 4 digits, which would not be period correct. Four digits would be earlier. Everything else would be right on.

I had no idea there would arise so much controversy about this guitar when I listed it. I suppose I will pull it and just keep it. I really do like it. Actually when I first got it, my son in law saw it and freaked over it. So I gave it to him, but he plays humbuckers and never could fall in love with the single coil sound. Then I found a 1958 style Tokai Flying Vee with the humbuckers he loves and he gave me back this for the Vee. Well, then when I was detailing this guitar for this auction, I realized what a really sweet guitar this is and just about had myself talked in to not selling it anyway. Truth is, I have to sell something, I have almost 70 guitars and over 30 amps.

I just want everyone to know that I am not trying to mislead anyone, and I put the link to this forum on my auction so that interested folks could ask questions of the experts here. If anyone of you has any advice as to what course of action I should take in regards to this auction please feel free to voice your opinion.

With a humble desire to be a respected member of this community, Kind regards,
Richard

Dear Richard, thank you for your reply, I am sure everybody here appreciates your candour,especially in the light of the recent controversy that has been raging here over another guitar, the details of which I am sure you are aware.It seems to me that you have to pull the guitar from the E Bay auction, as you leave yourself open to a claim of misrepresention of goods from the potential buyer.At the moment this guitar seems like something of a bitsocaster which of course is no bad thing as long as the buyer is aware of exactly what they they are buying.The other thing you must do is take the neck off and establish if the body and neck stamps match.Once you have established just what this guitar is comprised of then readvertise it on E Bay as exactly what it is if it has adifferent neck and body then say so clearly.Alternatively you could advertise the guitar here on the forum , maybe some members would be interested in this guitar at the right price, I certainly would be tempted. If opther members disagree I am sure they will make their views known to you,but in my view this is the only way to go,Yours with respect, Gabe.

bluejeannot said:
At the moment this guitar seems like something of a bitsocaster which of course is no bad thing as long as the buyer is aware of exactly what they they are buying.

It could be a very good Goldstar with a changed scratch plate. Could be all that Richard needs to do is remove the words ST-100. I'll let someone else make that call.

It's not often I buy something old or vintage on e-bay and know 'exactly' what I'm buying before it arrives. Even after delivery there can be doubt. It's part of the fun - will I get a bargain or will I have made a mistake? :wink:

It could be a very good Goldstar with a changed scratch plate. Could be all that Richard needs to do is remove the words ST-100. I'll let someone else make that call.

It's not often I buy something old or vintage on e-bay and know 'exactly' what I'm buying before it arrives. Even after delivery there can be doubt. It's part of the fun - will I get a bargain or will I have made a mistake? :wink:[/quote] Haven`t we been down this road before? I don`t think "it`s part of the fun", to lose several hundred pounds,dollars, or any other currency for that matter in resale value, and I can think of better ways of enjoying myself,can`t you? Gabe.

bluejeannot said:
Haven`t we been down this road before? I don`t think "it`s part of the fun", to lose several hundred pounds,dollars, or any other currency for that matter in resale value, and I can think of better ways of enjoying myself,can`t you? Gabe.

Did I say that? I'm confused .... why would I say that? I'm very sorry if I've upset you. I think I'll stay out of this thread.

Back