AST 62

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbury

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260159186344&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Anyone got any thoughts on this? It should have E pups ... right? And is that logo real?

I've been looking for a guitar for my son that will sound as close as possible to my ST-80, but not burn such a big hole in my pocket!

stratman323 said:
The decal looks like a poor fake to me :(

That was my first thought too, but as it's an AST for the US market with the altered headstock, I wondered if the logo was different too. If it's a fake then it should be a copy of something ... but I don't recognise what it's copying, which, bizarrely, made me wonder if it might be real :-?

really strange. the only thing I can find is the wrong decal. all else looks ok to me.

perhaps the decal was removed at some point and the seller put on a "new" one.

:eek:

Hi guys

This really went for a 'sale of the century' only US$456.13, that is really good.
I mention this because, well, clearly the logo has been removed and a bodgey one put in it's place, but, I do remember an Ebay listing a few months ago from a seller selling an AST 62 or TST 62, saying it was from their 'private collection' (cork sniffing wan*er), complete with the Tokai SRV poster, I am pretty sure the sell price was over US$1000.00 if not, near.

So, well done to the winner of the listed Tokai, that's gotta be a bargain bin entry.

Mick

Mickdal said:
Hi guys

This really went for a 'sale of the century' only US$456.13, that is really good.
I mention this because, well, clearly the logo has been removed and a bodgey one put in it's place, but, I do remember an Ebay listing a few months ago from a seller selling an AST 62 or TST 62, saying it was from their 'private collection' (cork sniffing wan*er), complete with the Tokai SRV poster, I am pretty sure the sell price was over US$1000.00 if not, near.

So, well done to the winner of the listed Tokai, that's gotta be a bargain bin entry.

Mick

Wasn't me. I wasn't sure about it. The seller sent an answer to my question about the pick-ups that didn't fit my expectations. Unfortunately I've deleted the e-mail and my memory isn't too good, so I can't quote it! :roll:

I guess there are dealers who would define parts of their collections as 'private'. Not a phrase I'd use, but then I wouldn't call someone a "cork sniffing wan*er" either. :D

Presumably any collection of guitars that isn't open to the public is a private collection? I'm not sure how many we have to own before it becomes a collection, but I would have thought that any of us who own more than 3 or 4 guitars have a private collection.

In other words, a meaningless term. Like "law suit". And "rare"... :roll:

Excellent!!! Earlier today I thought I had a few Japanese guitars, it turns out I have a Private collection of rare, law-suit, vintage instruments :D

JohnA said:
Excellent!!! Earlier today I thought I had a few Japanese guitars, it turns out I have a Private collection of rare, law-suit, vintage instruments :D

On ebay they are "!!!!!Mega Rare!!!!!" pls.

But what about the corks? My collection are all hand-cut from Portuguese oak trees.

Imagine my surprise, i went online this morning to research the ast 62 i picked up yesterday, and here it is in the forum. Now I am worried, is it a fake. I am trying to date it and get some info on it, the serial number is 20669,on the chrome neckplate, no #s on the headstock, it has cloth wire inside, the decal looks really good, if someone replaced it, it was done professionally, I did take some close up pics if that will help. It really plays and sounds good. Please help.
Alan

Welcome to the forum. Post as many pics as you can manage, you can use www.photobucket.com unless you already use a different site. Other posts will show you the sort of pics that people post, and the comments that are made about them.

It's just that decal on this guitar that bothers me - has anyone else seen a Tokai with a decal like that?

Hi Alan!

don't worry, that's a real one (altough an export version).

If you are not convinced I'll pay what you paid+10% + shipment. :D

cheers! Rupert

JohnA said:

It's all about the spin - have you learnt nothing from 10 years of "New" Labour? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I see this one is back on again :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7395489485&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=260159186344&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

Whew thanks, any info on it? Also noticed, pole pieces under a & b strings are flush with pick ups, also saddles say "FINAL" & "PROSPEC" on them. Any clue to what year it is?
Thanks again, Alan

alanhoggard said:
Imagine my surprise, i went online this morning to research the ast 62 i picked up yesterday, and here it is in the forum. Now I am worried, is it a fake. I am trying to date it and get some info on it, the serial number is 20669,on the chrome neckplate, no #s on the headstock, it has cloth wire inside, the decal looks really good, if someone replaced it, it was done professionally, I did take some close up pics if that will help. It really plays and sounds good. Please help.
Alan

If I lived in the states I'd have bought it despite my uncertainty. Shipping and duty for the UK made me think twice, so I didn't go for it. I reckon its either the real thing or very close to it. It looks the part and all the visible hardware looks right. I don't think you can date it from the serial number - but maybe someone will tell us otherwise. I'd like to know more about the pick-ups and don't worry about the decal!

It should sound gorgeous. At that price you've scored hit.

here are some pics of the ast 62, any info would be great!
Thanks
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=aguq7pdj.1afm0hbz&x=0&y=pcqkii

I just noticed in the third pic, you can see where the old tokai decal was?
cant see it on the real guitar, why would someone replace the decal?

rgrafend said:
Not 100% sure, but I believe "Final Prospec" implies befor 84.

But that's the newer headstock - didn't that shape come in late 80s? Early 90s?

Mike

Latest posts

Back