Killer LS120 on Fleabay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ochay

Reaction score
This is a Nice un.......
82' Tokai LS120 Love Rock Solid Tiger Maple Flame Top

http://cgi.ebay.com/82-Tokai-LS120-Love-Rock-Solid-Tiger-Maple-Flame-Top_W0QQitemZ280048494047QQihZ018QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is another nice 1983 LS80 -
http://cgi.ebay.com/1983-Tokai-LS80-200-Killer-Top-L-K_W0QQitemZ170050147773QQihZ007QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's the one I posted up a link to in another thread. Okay we can talk here.

That's a hell of a first bid. Not sure if i'd pay it but hats off to anyone who wants to pay this kind of wonga for it.

ochay said:
This is a Nice un.......
82' Tokai LS120 Love Rock Solid Tiger Maple Flame Top

The bidder before ochay cancelled his bid.
Maybe not so a killer LS120!!

I bet, it is not a LS120.
Anyhow, ochay, you are the (lucky?) winner.
Pass after the receive of the guitar, a pic to the forum, with a view into its neck cavity, for proof. I bet, there is not a deep joint. ( Which is a must for a 1982 LS 120!!)

If so, BTW, congrats, you own now a 1982 LS80 (LS100) :wink:

Great top. It may be too good to be a high end model. Then again, I have no doubt that Ochay knows his Tokai's. I hope vapour mans know's what he's selling cause they'll be trouble if he don't. :oops:

vapourman is pretty good on his sales...I would be surprised if this was not as he describes...togps...what makes you think its not a 120?..please let us know for future reference..

Well I think it's togps who is a little mor dubious than me. However, most of the fancy tops I've seen on Tokais belong to the LS100 range. I'm sure you remember when Tokai flooded the UK market around 83'-84 with the Love Rock range. Most of the guitars were veneer models. Although the higher end models were listed in the 'Blue Suede Music' price list I never saw one. I spoke to lots of dealers and nobody had the guts to get one in. The price of a top ender was too near the Gibson Lester range so the average music shop wouldn't entertain it. Obviously and typical of the UK music shop scene back then, they didn't have a F*ck*@G clue.

So, I was left to doing my own leg work. Being an avid reader of LOOT almost everyday during the 80's 90's and a bit of the 2000's, I made dozens of trips around London and the countryside snapping up all sorts of Tokai's (amongst other things) but never came across the top end jobs. Most guys owned LS50's LS60's and LS100's in the usual colours gold, black and veneerd sunburst and although they thought they had something special, they didn't. Of course I educated them after pulling the pups and showing them the thin veneer on the suburst models. Some said thanks, others said nothing. Probably did after I left (HA! :lol: )

Of course now that we have ebay, we can buy anything we want from anywhere (except China if you have any sense) so we are spoilt. Shame cause I rather liked the travelling about. Often after work or at the weekend to go look at guitars, amps and the like, haggle a bit with the owner and walk out with a new toy. Ebay has f*uc@ed that a bit but my heart pumps when I'm sniping and I'm still a kid in a sweet shop when something turns up on the door step :)

To be honest, although the top end LS's eluded me in the UK, I lost a bit of interest in the model once I picked up my first Historic Lester. Didn't see much point anymore.

I still have my 2 Springy sounds that I totally swear by as the best Strats I've ever owned be that vintage or new and I have a great double edge bound Breezy in Lake Placid Blue. Still have my white 81' TLC60 too. Probably the nicest of all the Tokai Lester's I've owned.

villager said:
.... togps...what makes you think its not a 120?..please let us know for future reference..

With pleasure I try to help.
As you may know, all 1978-1982 LS120 and above, features a deep neck joint into the neck cavity.
That is a fact!
Following pics was sent by the ebay seller vapourman to a bidder.

fetish02vi9.jpg

fetish031mt9.jpg

After receive of the pics, the bidder decide to cancel his bid. Because this "LS120" feature no deep neck joint. Simple!

Sure. I'm out of office for the weekend. I'll shot a pic next week.

Ask forum member Rossi. He could help meanwhile too. I saw a cavity pic of his LS120 Ebay auction.

oldflame said:
Great top. It may be too good to be a high end model. Then again, I have no doubt that Ochay knows his Tokai's. I hope vapour mans know's what he's selling cause they'll be trouble if he don't. :oops:

Yes, there could be big trouble on the horizon. Mr. Ochay may start calling him the dreaded "B" word. :wink:

That looks like the thin veneer I've seen on so many Tokai's. I hope it's not. It's so hard to tell looking at pictures though.

FYI-
Vaporman is the guy that got me interested in Tokai's B4 Ned even started the Registry-He is the master-

Never doubt him or your eye will be plucked out of your face.

you know the deal Villager !

For the most part I don't even bother trying to educate people.

All of the Tokai's Les Pauls (46) I have had --
have been pre 1883-
(1/2 of those bought from the original Japanese owners)
I have had several later Tok LP 1990/91/92's -also one 1998
--I have opened and photographed every single one .....
ALL of the neckjoints are the same !!....

no way
to reason with some people.

I have met too many "experts" that look at pictures and think they
know more than the people
who have owned many of them rather then dreamed they have or will.
Point being>>>>>
They all (Early LS120's) have the same Neck Joint .
:wink:

http://images.lilypix.com/thumbnails.php?album=1851

yes ..but i respect togps knowledge ..i would like to know why he thinks the joint is not normal for a 120....i think he is mistaken....but I await pics with interest....

I would have bought it as a ls-120 ...esp from ed...i have spent a lot of time with the guy and he knows his stuff...he's also a good honest guy ..
so i would be surprised if he got it wrong....

Did anyone see the ES150J Reborn last week.

www.ebay.com Item # 280045882621

I havn't even plugged it in yet. But it plays sweet and looks awesome. The only complaint I have is it is a little heavy, not much.
I havn't put it on the scale yet, but feels to be a little on the plus side of 8lbs. That is probably average weight for these though.

I would love to hear what ya'll think.

Kind regards,
Crushtone

villager said:
... and do you have a deep neck joint pic to compare?
togps said:
Sure. I'm out of office for the weekend. I'll shot a pic next week.

Here we go:

LS120, 1981

ls1201981neckcavitylargep1.jpg

LS120, 1982

ls1201982neckcavitylargex3.jpg

Hope that helps.

BTW, I'll get some high end Reborns in December. If there is a demand, I'll shot as well pics of those neck cavities.

Latest posts

Back