Need Help Finding Info

Music stores and pawn shops where Tokai guitars have been spotted for sale. New or used.

Moderators: ian, ned

TSL
Guitar God

Post by TSL » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:07 pm

I get a little nervous when I see the feedback on a seller, and alot of them are from ebayers with only a few transactions (such as with this seller). I am not accussing this particular seller of anything, but it would be easy to have multiple IDs, and pretend to buy from yourself, just to boost your feedback.

On the rare occassions I have bought a guitar on ebay, I've researched the seller's feedback very, very carefully.

javelin70
Guitar God

Post by javelin70 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:16 am

I bought an old Springy Sound from Germany (eBay), I admit I was a bit nervous. As far as I could see the guitar was genuine but the pictures were bad. When I received the guitar it was really dirty and the strings were rusty, it was impossible to tune it. After I'd cleaned it and put new strings on it it turned out to be an excellent guitar. The seller was the original owner and had bought it new in 1982. I didn't mind cleaning it although I would never sell a guitar in that condition myself. I really got what I wanted though, a Springy that wasn't messed up, only the pickups had been changed sometime for a set of Duncan vintage staggered SSL-1.

I've never seen this amount of dust in a tremolo cavity:

I hope you will be able to get you money back or at least part of it. I haven't checked the eBay rules thoroughly but if he was lying about the solid alder body would that be enough to get you money back?

Mike

Fescat
Plucker

Working on Refund

Post by Fescat » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:48 pm

I have to wait 10 days to report this to Ebay and notified the seller that I was doing so. Requested a refund but he is not going to do it. Even offered to pay for initial shipping cost and cost to ship it back. I hate to have to report this but it makes me mad that he lied when he said that there was no serial number or country of origin on the headstock and it turns out that it was clearly filed off the back of the headstock. In my opinion, that alone constitutes fraud and I am reporting it that way. In the end, it was my fault for not doing my homework on this one but I am going to do what I can to contest this with Ebay. Just received a MIJ Edwards Les Paul from an Ebayer and it is a beauty. Cherryburst and sounds incredible. Most folks that I have dealt with on Ebay are great.

Fescat
Plucker

Update

Post by Fescat » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:11 pm

Update - I took off the rear plastic over of the body and took a small chisel to it to see if it was solid Alder or not. It is solid for sure, definitely not plywood and that is a relief. It actually plays good so now I am baffled. Not sure what I have here. Feeling better about this guitar and it has grown on me a little. Definitely has that Stratocaster sound!

JSD
Guitar God

Post by JSD » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:35 pm

No suprise there, I already told you what it was made out of in my previous post in this thread. Its agathis and its solid, no plywood/pressboard filler. The neck is also rock maple. Its not quite worth what you paid but not a bad guitar.
Your online source for great guitars
JSD's Guitar Shack / JSD's on Myspace