Need Help Finding Info

Music stores and pawn shops where Tokai guitars have been spotted for sale. New or used.

Moderators: ian, ned

Fescat
Plucker

Need Help Finding Info

Post by Fescat » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:14 pm

I bought this guitar on Ebay as I really wanted a Tokai but am a little concerned now that I read the forum and see that people are actually making copies of Tokais. This was listed as a Tokai Stratocaster 2004 Solid Alder Series Ltd Edition but I cannot find anything on the web that verifies that Tokai made this model in 2004. I emailed the seller to ask if there was a serial number on it or country of manufacture but he told me that there was no serial number on it. Asked if it was made in Korea or Japan and got no response so I am a little nervous. Does anyone know if this is a legit guitar or not? I appreciate any help with this question. Great forum!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokai-Stratocaster- ... dZViewItem

togps
Guitar God

Post by togps » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:48 pm

Fescat, welcome to the forum.
Even it is hard to say welcome and on the the other side I've to regret that you bought no Tokai. :evil:
I always recommend to contact the Forum before somebody buy ...
.. and not thereafter .... :(

javelin70
Guitar God

Post by javelin70 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:39 am

togps wrote:Fescat, welcome to the forum.
Even it is hard to say welcome and on the the other side I've to regret that you bought no Tokai. :evil:
I always recommend to contact the Forum before somebody buy ...
.. and not thereafter .... :(
Gottfried, are you sure about that? To me it looks like a korean low end model, maybe an AST-25 (lower right):

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/cat ... i20014.jpg

Unfortunately $400 USD is too much for one of those.

Mike

togps
Guitar God

Post by togps » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:22 am

Mike, hello.
Maybe you are right as well.
Anyway, the seller claims Alder body - the AST25 of this Tokai catalog features a plywood body. Also the pick guard of this Ebay guitar is not a Tokai one.
Strange guitar nevertheless. even regarding the price.

javelin70
Guitar God

Post by javelin70 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:23 am

It might be a different model, the model numbers have changed slightly in recent years but it still looks like a low end korean Goldstar to me. The pickguard may have been changed, it's a used guitar. Still, $400 USD is too much for it.

Mike

Fescat
Plucker

Thanks!

Post by Fescat » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:29 am

I appreciate your input and the link to the AST25 picture. Sure hope it is not a plywood body. Is there any way to tell if it is a Alder body Vs. plywood by simple visual inspection? My mistake actually and I typically am better about doing my research before buying. Too many beers that night! Impulse bidding did me in.

javelin70
Guitar God

Post by javelin70 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:14 pm

It depends on how the guitar is painted, sometimes it's possible to see the wood if you remove the tremolo cover. The paint might be thinner in that cavity so the different layers of the plywood is visible. Otherwise, if you remove the neck the wood should be visible. It might be a better model than AST-25, possibly an AST-33 or similar and from what I understand they are really good.

Mike

JSD
Guitar God

Post by JSD » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:50 pm

Its an AST-25. That model was in fact made of agathis, not alder. Its made in Korea and should have a serial number and made in Korea on the back of the headstock. Its not a bad guitar but never sold for that much. That seller goes by a few different names on flee-bay and seem to mis-rep items all the time.... :-?
Your online source for great guitars
JSD's Guitar Shack / JSD's on Myspace

tudor
Guitar God

Post by tudor » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:09 pm

Fescat,

you cannot see it from outside - except you have an impression, that the body seems to look "too" pretty ... joke aside - NO!
I've bought an Allparts "ash" Tele body a couple of years ago, thought it was a bargain ... but when I started to widen the bridge cavity because the size didn't fit my pup, there were many little nuggets of Ply-wood falling outside ... :cry:
BTW - the buyer told me later that he had an accident with his guitar - touched an the amp with the body and a 4 cm-piece of the edge broke away ... think you have to damage something to know the truth.

Roger

Fescat
Plucker

Post by Fescat » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:11 pm

Great info! Good tip on checking to see if it was plywood. Also, I emailed the seller a couple days ago to ask if it has a serial number and country of manufacture noted on the headstock and was told that it had neither. Really strange. Not sure what to expect and this is a first for me. Usually much more on the ball before I make purchases. Kind of kicking myself on this one. I will probably take the pickguard off to take a peek underneath and that should help determine what the body is made of.

tudor
Guitar God

Post by tudor » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:25 pm

If you'll use a beveled-edge chisel and deepen the cavity a little bit (this place is not so important - but avoid to make a hole :wink: ), you are able to see if there are "real" wood - chips - not single nuggets - and will they have "grown grain" or not ... :wink:

Good luck - keep us informed about the result !! :-?

Roger

Fescat
Plucker

Follow Up

Post by Fescat » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:33 pm

I received the guitar today and first off, it was filthy. Cannot believe someone would sell a guitar in that condition. I sell on Ebay all the time and would never let one of my guitars out the door looking like that. Now I know why the pictures were from far away. Guitar was light as a feather and you could clearly see where it was some sort of thin laminate wood over the pressed plywood neck. A really cheap, dirty guitar and it is my fault for not checking into this further before buying. Also, it was really plain to see where someone had scratched off the Made in Korea or serial number on the back of the headstock. Will try to get a better look at this tomorrow to see if I can make out what was scratched off. Boy, do I feel like an idiot. Most of my experience with people on Ebay has been very positive and I have bought some real gems on there. This was a first and really my own fault. Thanks to all of you for your help with this. Rock on!

jawilluk
Guitar God

Post by jawilluk » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:02 pm

If the body is not ash as the seller clearly claimed then the guitar was substantially misdescribed. You should be entitled to cancel the purchase and get a full refund if that's what you want. Might be a lot of hassle though.

tudor
Guitar God

Post by tudor » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:40 am

That's a sh .... ! :evil:

I have the idea that it gradually becomes profitable to produce some fakes !!! :o :o
As you mentioned the weight - also my former Allparts fake Tele body was a feather-weight! :-?

What are you going to do now?? Try to get a refund??

Roger

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:22 am

You should be entitled to cancel the purchase and get a full refund if that's what you want. Might be a lot of hassle though.
If you paid by credit card, you can contest the charge and refuse to pay it when your bill arrives - as having been sold something other than what you thought you were buying. The credit card company will get inolved with the seller and you should be able to avoid the charge, pack up the piece of firewood and send it back (with proof of delivery of course).

You know the lesson here.....don't buy something sight unseen unless you know for sure what you are buying. If you can, buy through a service such as Paypal and do so with a credit card you have on file with them so that if something happens like this again, you have some time to sort out what you got (or didn't get) before you are billed for it. If you pay with a check or money order, it may be a difficult task to remedy.

Good luck....let us know how you make out :wink: