ES-100? on eBay...What do you think of this

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waddy Peytona

Reaction score
Frankly I'd rather have Tokai on the headstock and the label.

Don't know about the neck - I thought they all had single color mahogany necks - mine does. With all of the Gibson mod's to it, it's hard to tell what it's Tokai origin is without getting inside. What's the serial number?

Very cool piece. This seller sounds like they are completely honest in the description.

But nonetheless...can somebody explain to me why some people find it necessary to "Gibson-ise) their Tokai?
Some for financial gains...I get that much.
Some I guess so that they can sit it on the wall and stare at it and pretend that they have an actual Gibbo...too much time and effort for a dubious outcome to my mind.

Ozeshin said:
But nonetheless...can somebody explain to me why some people find it necessary to "Gibson-ise) their Tokai?
Yes, I do understand it from the sellers view. :(
No, I don't understand it from the buyers side :roll:

Exactly....

If I'm going to play a guitar that calls itself a Gibson, I will buy a Gibson. It's like buying a Volkswagen beetle, putting an MG kit and body on it and calling it an MG.

Why the shame in letting people know it's a Tokai?

Probably it would like to make itself the advantages of the outstanding reputation and craftsmanship of Tokai for his auction? :(

Isn't it funny? Just remember me on the huge postings re Q/C of Tokai 10 days ago :)

togps said:
Probably it would like to make itself the advantages of the outstanding reputation and craftsmanship of Tokai for his auction? :(
)

:lol: Funny, yes...but it also made me wonder, is it in fact a Gibson? That would be weird but those mods would probably not been cheap. How would you tell it apart from a Gibbo? Maybe if the seller is a member of the forum he/she could enlighten us.

I think this may happen more often than us Tokai afficianado's would like to think. I have an ES-100, same colour, that has had exactly the same "upgrades" as this one, with the exception of having a 70's Gibson ES-335 case and the original Tokai serial on the orange Gibson label. Frankly, there is no difference in quality between the Tokai and Gibson 335's I've had.

I think some people do the upgrades so they can leave their Gibbo at home and do their gigs with the fake one but still have the same level of quality - especially true in the US where the original instrument may be vintage and some of the sets those guys do in smoky and sweaty bars can go on late, meaning the guitar is in a poor environment and is open to theft by unscrupulous punters.

I may be selling mine on soon as I don't gig anymore and don't really need the false vanity of it.

If anyone is interested, PM me. It will save me having the auction yanked off Ebay!

tudor said:
... just "believe" ??? Or can you prove it, Gottfried?
Roger

You could.
If you'ld have a detail pic of inside with view on the Center Block.

Tokai MIJ ES models features a Center Block of Spruce/Maple/Spruce 3 ply

For the record, I believe the owner is telling the truth as well. I can't think of a reason why he would present the guitar as a Tokai when it was in reality a Gibson.

I can only guess that he really did want a gibson copy down to the final detail...the gigging guitar theory sounds the most credible so far to me.

I wonder if he had to replace the entire veneer on the headstock in order to re-cut it for a Gibson inlay. An amazing effort.

It would be nice to see some proof it being a Tokai and not some cheap peace of wood and metal. Maybe the seller has the original parts (logo, pickups)?

If you think of the worst case scenario, the seller might say it is a Tokai as it's obvious there's market for them. Though I'm not suggesting this is the case here. :D

The seller has 100% feedback history.

I don't like the Serial number at the top back of the headstock. My ES 100 doesn't have a Serial number on the headstock. Only "Made in Japan"

If it is genuine then it does seem like a good price considering the pickup upgrades and all the other unnecessary stuff.

No serial number on mine. Only "Made in Japan"

3352a.jpg
[/url]

That's right, he would have also had to stamp a serial number like Gibson. Do some Tokai's have serial numbers stamped in?

My ES-120 doesn't have anything...not even MIJ stamped into. My 2002 Gibson Les Paul has serial numbers which are eight digits...no letters. This ES-100 appears to have the letter "A" followed by 5 digits. That is a Gibson serial number pattern that was used between 1947 to 1961! What the heck?!!

Back