Hollow Body Gr*tch style models on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisheyes

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Anybody know more about these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38082&item=7330333944&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38082&item=7330336216&rd=1

Are they made in Japan or Korea ?

I just saw those too and the first thing I wondered was country of manufacture. Mike tends to deal in Korean Tokais, so I suspected they'd be MIK but then noticed the MIJ statement and the price. Intriguing either way.

Every now and again I fancy a Gretsch but remember that I don't actually like the way they sound or play!

I must admit to being confused over this dimple on the headstock thing. There seems to be divided opinion in the forums if this gives a definitive reason to identify the country of origin. Do we mean by dimple the small 'lump' in the very middle of the top edge of the headstock. If we do then I am confused as to why this is seen to signify Korean origin. I have an ES120 natural flame top which I am assured are only made in Japan. The price of the guitar would seem to back this up, as does the sheer quality of the instrument. In this range the ES60 is Korean but the ES100 and ES120 are Japanese. I do however have a dimple in my headstock which I am led to believe indicates a guitar which has been sold outwith Japan although made in Japan. Can anybody give a definitive answer to this one as it can be confusing when it comes to identifying country of origin. Also, why should a truss rod indicate Korea? Do Japanese guitars not have truss rods? Can we be more specific for new enthusiasts. Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed light on this.

Hutton

I think your right about the dimple, It should apply to both MIK and MIJ for copyright reasons. The MIK truss rod cover have 3 screws the MIJ have 2.

Thanks Ed! My ES120 has two screws on the truss rod cover which would confirm what you are saying. The dimple question hopefully can now also be settled. MIJ but sold outwith Japan = dimple!

Hutton

Anybody know more about these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38082&item=7330333944&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38082&item=7330336216&rd=1

Beware!!

I believe that the Dimple on the Headstock implies that the guitar was made for Export.

The Headstock's without the Dimple, the ones that closely resemble the G*bson "Open Book" are on Guitars made for the Japanese market only.

I looked at theses guitars on ebay and am suspicious, but they could be a new model ????

Here comes togps with his accusations again. I don't know anything about these guitars, but do you have any facts to back up your claim? If not, why don't you put a sock in it!

Sorry Ned and Ian - but, hey, can't we have a LPF-style rumble once in a while? :lol:

Togps, I'd be interested in seeing why your calling all the Korean Tokai guitars, that are made under licence, fakes. Please PM me or e-mail me with your info.

BTW, the guitars in those auctions are Korean made.

Number of screw in the truss rod cover doesn't mean anything anymore, hasn't for a few years now.

Yeah, guys really we can?t go around using words like ?fake?, OK? I?m going to edit that bit out.

I know zero about these particicular guitars, but if there is anything suspicious about them, then lets just list the suspicious parts & let readers draw their own conclusions.

Togps ? I respect your views on this, but you absolutely can?t do that again on an open public Forum. Why not discuss it privately with JSD (as he suggests).

Ian.

Novosel ? I think TDPRI always had the best ?rumbles??now they really do know how to host a ?pile up? :wink: .

Ian.

Ops I seem to have caused a stir :oops:

JSD

As a respected distributor of the Korean Tokai's can you give us any more details on these Gr&tch style guitarss. Thanks

I do like the Brian Setzer model :-?

Well I can't really tell you much about them other than the fact that those guitars are samples models that our supplier here brought in to check out and they are %100 Korean made. They won't be availabe in full production as they ended up costing too much. I could have snatched those ones up a few months ago but I didn't because they were too expensive and I'm just a small dealer and can't afford to sit on expensive stuff that might not sell.... :wink:

OK guys how about this. I emailed Mikesmusic with a question re the blue guitar he is selling. I asked whether it was made in Japan or Korea. He replied and stated that it was made in Japan. Should I stand back while you light the blue touch paper?

Hutton

Back