Darn it...5 minutes too late.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that guitar is a whole lot better than a nice LS-80. The top is not heavily flamed. It was a one piece body but other than that I agree that you didn't miss out too much. That particular guitar was listed about 4-5 months ago so this is a resell. Maybe it has bad mojo. Plus, the black abolone inlay is a little strenge.

Wow...okay, thanks... I feel better about it then.
Wonder what's up with it.

FWIW, the less flame the better for me.
I really like light sporadic flames where you can see the grain underneath.

Clay

Just 2cents, but I thought it looked good. $950 is a decent price on LS180,? nice colour, nice grain, great condition etc. Sure, I?d always buy an old one, but I know that route?s not for everyone :-? .

Ian.

Sorry you missed it Clay, but on the other hand if it were me I'd go for one from, say 78 to around 1981/2, Tokai's "golden years".

I've had my LS-60 from '81 for about 18 months now, love playing out with it, has incredible tone. It's nicer than all the new Standards & even the couple of Historics they have at the local Gibson dealers, in terms of fit & finish, playablility, weight & tone - though I cheated a bit, it's got Fralin 'buckers & Hovland & Sprague caps in it now 8)
(Pics on my homepage, link below).

After seeing/playing mine, my collector friend from England has since bought another three - 2 LS-50s & an LS-60, from the same era, and the extreme high quality is consistent, though his latest, a '78 "Les Paul Reborn" LS-60, which looks like it was made brand-new yesterday, is about 1.5 pounds heavier than the others at 10 lbs.

I've been a Strat player for over 30 years, & usually play out 2-3 nights a week or more. This is the first "Les Paul" I've ever really got on with, & I am constantly getting compliments on the tone, whcih still regularly sends shivers up my spine & makes my hair stand on end!. :D

Anyway, I've been hankering after trying a higher-end one with the nickel hardware, nitro finish & 18? neck angle for a while now, and just pulled the trigger on a 1981 LS-150 which has been re-fretted (with 6100s) & refinished/refurbished & set up by RS guitarworks.

I bought it without the Burstbuckers it had in it, as I want to try Jim Wagner's p'ups in it, probably the Darkbursts or Crossroads. http://www.crcoils.com

I've been waiting for a friend to bring it back from the States for me, & it should finally arrive Thursday, ...the suspense is killing me!

Hi Bill,
Let us know how that goes for you. It sounds great.
I'm very happy with the LS50 I got from a member of this forum. I'm looking to pick up maybe one more of the higher numbered ones too. Not collecting really, just want to actually use them since I'm gigging on a regular basis too and the one I've got so far really is a great guitar.

Ian said but I thought it looked good. $950 is a decent price on LS180
Ian, I thought that too but honestly, I don't really know my way around the Tokai market at all.

Clay

Hey Bill...LOVE those pics from '77. Ahhh, those were the days...

Latest posts

Back