1980 EGF-1800 on eBay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
considering certain factors that I won't go into, it would seem obligatory to (at least) list a valid weight for such an example .....
but then again, I'm looking at it logically :lol: ..........................

on another note & again also considering certain factors:
with a two piece body back, I would seriously consider other options; Historics with a 1 pc. body come to mind ..........

MIJvintage said:
considering certain factors that I won't go into, it would seem obligatory to (at least) list a valid weight for such an example .....
but then again, I'm looking at it logically :lol: ..........................

I agree, it's ridiculous not to give out information that is readily quantifiable. Likewise it would make sense to give the output readings from the pickups, since getting this information is less bother than weighing it.

Mike

stratman323 said:
I agree, it's ridiculous not to give out information that is readily quantifiable. Likewise it would make sense to give the output readings from the pickups, since getting this information is less bother than weighing it.

Mike

Right ! Same seller sold 2 pairs of Dry Pus in the last 2 weeks,always with the output readings but when selling this precious guitar,no informations available :roll:

a greco EGF-1800 is a beautiful and rare vintage instrument, its certainly not a historic

all of my EGF-1800's far surpass any historic I have owned, and thats about 100 odd, I don't care if its a 2 piece back, i don't care if its the wrong horn shape and the cutaway is not an exact 59 dimension, or 101 tiny other things that don't matter to me, all I care about is that when i pick up a guitar, to go and play in front of people, 7/10 times its an 1800 or an 1200, and I dont care if its a veneer either!... or a long tenon,

heh I do prefer the feel of nitro though, :roll:

that one looks in excellent condition, and the price is right for the condition and location..

obviously.....if a 1 piece back is the most important thing to you then fine, just its not of the highest importance to me, I would trade the super real fat neck against a 1 piece body, as the neck shape and feel is more important for me overall

the number of pieces that comprise the body of a solid body guitar is just one of many specifications

personally, it's not the most important thing to me AFA a solid body is concerned

I believe it was you Mark that piqued my interest into the world of higher end/top specs, AFA guitar build is concerned

a 1 pc. back is about as top spec as it gets AFA the body composition is concerned

I believe the debate has been voiced here previously

I can get 90% of what I want out of a solid body that cost under $1K, versus a solid body that cost $4K, or more, and the under $1K could have a 3 pc. Back

When any example reaches the general/same/similar levels of high end price, I would expect that many would certainly consider other alternatives with specs that on paper seem to be more related to ?high spec?

Specs are not everything but they are a big piece of the equation for similar, and higher end price points, IMO

I don?t believe the same can be said for comparing a higher end/higher spec product to the lower priced, under $1K guitars

Thus my observation that a multi (>1) piece body LP at the higher price/higher end/higher spec range will certainly be met with thoughts of a higher spec alternative; it?s only a natural rationalization IMO

Would I rather pay the same amount for a 2 pc. body LP, or for a 1 pc. body LP?
Same could be said for a Braz board versus a non Braz board.

It all depends on the individual & what is important to the potential buyer.

I?m sure it?s a great guitar, and there is no doubt it?s rarity but the spec issue is real.

An EGF-1800 with a multi piece back will not be everyone's "cup of tea" for such a higher end example, simply because there are other examples with a single piece body back, and many at a lower price point.

yes I agree, but the price depends on 4 main factors, the rarity, the specs, the condition and the playability, not necessarily in that order..

for all japanese guitars in any price range, thats the guitar I would personally choose to play out, and in the 4000USD -ish arena, I would look at high end super reals and navigators, although some of my high end tokais are equally good guitars, the fatter necks are just my personal preference for gigging..

villager said:
yes I agree, but the price depends on 4 main factors, the rarity, the specs, the condition and the playability, not necessarily in that order..

for all japanese guitars in any price range, thats the guitar I would personally choose to play out, and in the 4000USD -ish arena, I would look at high end super reals and navigators, although some of my high end tokais are equally good guitars, the fatter necks are just my personal preference for gigging..

I agree Mark, that price is very good! if I was in the market to collect that guitar, I certainly would buy it now.
As a collector piece only, with the odd silly grin playing time only :p . For me, the rare Japan high end guitar is more of a 'keep sake' than a player, more of sentimental value to me. Each to their own right? different buyers for different reasons right?

And you are right Mick51...someone will be very happy 8)

I would hope that guitars are made for playing but sadly, that is not the case, as collecting has taken a higher place on the totem pole over playing, for many

other wise there would be a few $300 late '50s Lesters around ............

When you get to these sort of price levels and higher, it really is worth checking out one of the builders who make clones using old wood (if you're not collecting that is).

I really am starting to wonder if this may be the better way to get a great sounding LP.

There's no doubt in my mind that a fair piece of the price on that Greco is due to the collectable aspect. If you just want to play it then it's unlikely that you will derive a level of utility from it that is commensurate with the price, but if you're collecting it as well then it will probably be good value.

Specs are another aspect that will be valued at various levels by different people, and I have to admit that I get a mild buzz out of the craftsmanship of things like long tenons and nice top carves. If possible I will avoid veneer tops even though I don't think they have any effect on the tone of a guitar. But this does not mean I'm enlightened or have seen the truth, because it's just not out there. :lol:

JVsearch said:
When you get to these sort of price levels and higher, it really is worth checking out one of the builders who make clones using old wood (if you're not collecting that is).

I really am starting to wonder if this may be the better way to get a great sounding LP.

Interesting point as I've recently been lusting after a Fujigen EFL. I saw a few in a shop in Ochanomizu and they're beautiful looking instruments, at a great weight as well. And they use Fujigen's stock of 'Timeless Timber' as they call it. They are some seriously sweet looking guitars and I'd love to try one out but they're rather pricey, especially when you get into their higher grade or exotic tops such as these:
DS00858012_main_thumb.jpg

DS00917585_main_thumb.jpg

DS00908580_main_thumb.jpg

Sweet... :eek:

Jason

MIJvintage said:
Would I rather pay the same amount for a 2 pc. body LP, or for a 1 pc. body LP?
Same could be said for a Braz board versus a non Braz board.

I thought that a recent thread had established that none of us can reliably pick out what is Brazilian rosewood by looks alone?

villager said:

Surely demand is a major factor? Imagine if a well known young guitarist started playing a Springy - all of a sudden everyone would want one, there would be articles in the various magazines about Tokais, etc. etc. The whole media circus would inevitably mean that prices would go up, regardless of specs, playability or whatever.

Conversely, if nobody bought your ST80s, you would have to put the price down - market forces again.

Big Willie Style said:
JVsearch said:

Interesting point as I've recently been lusting after a Fujigen EFL. I saw a few in a shop in Ochanomizu and they're beautiful looking instruments, at a great weight as well. And they use Fujigen's stock of 'Timeless Timber' as they call it. They are some seriously sweet looking guitars and I'd love to try one out but they're rather pricey, especially when you get into their higher grade or exotic tops such as these:
DS00858012_main_thumb.jpg

DS00917585_main_thumb.jpg

DS00908580_main_thumb.jpg

Sweet... :eek:

Jason

Those are amazing..... the one on the bottom is killer. Love that body style. Very Tokai Anniversary:

002.jpg

Latest posts

Back