1985 TLS60 still in box

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yngvai

Reaction score
It looks like someone has an unused TLS60 in the original box in ebay. The question that comes to mind is, is this worth much more than a current LS80?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160308875622&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Nothing special, besides unplayed.
I do have so my doubts if it would be good to have a guitar 25 years stored in a box...
Two pcs. body - even the seller claims a one pcs. body.
Veneer top.

togps said:
I do have so my doubts if it would be good to have a guitar 25 years stored in a box...
Veneer top.

I was thinking the same thing about a box stored guitar for that long a period. Could go pretty wonky when exposed to the elements or have electronics problems.

My LS60 Reborn has a two piece back.....no way this one is one piece.

In the questions below the listing, he says ALL Tokai's from this era had the Gibson bell shaped truss rod cover (um, that's wrong) and one reason they were called lawsuit model Pauls (nice try).

Like Gottfried said, nothing special other than unplayed (well, the case is a nice bonus). If it were me, I'd buy the new LS80 and not have possible issues to contend with.

Thanks for that TRC info, I didn't know. I recently obtained what I think is a 1985 ls80 with a bell shaped TRC and have been wondering if it was original or not. Serial number is very close to the one in this auction. I was interested because it has a nice flame top ( i knew it would be laminated) but looks like the price will go through the roof the way people are bidding on it. As it's an ls60 too doesn't seem so interesting any more..

yngvai said:
Thanks for that TRC info, I didn't know. I recently obtained what I think is a 1985 ls80 with a bell shaped TRC and have been wondering if it was original or not. Serial number is very close to the one in this auction. I was interested because it has a nice flame top ( i knew it would be laminated) but looks like the price will go through the roof the way people are bidding on it. As it's an ls60 too doesn't seem so interesting any more..

Most common in the 80's were the modified bell shape like the one below. The actual Gibson types were found mostly (if not only) on the Reborn and Reborn Old models.

CIMG2528.jpg

loverock_1985_TRC.jpg

loverock_1985_whole.jpg
[/img]

Here is mine with really crap pics, sorry, but it has a bell shaped TRC. The fact is it's a really nice guitar so I'm not bothered if everything is original.

From one of the seller's replies:

I've been playing for over forty years and know how to look after a guitar

What, by not touching it for 24 years? Wow, what an expert!

Mike

:lol:

stratman323 said:
From one of the seller's replies:

I've been playing for over forty years and know how to look after a guitar

What, by not touching it for 24 years? Wow, what an expert!

Mike

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JohnA said:
Give the poor guy a break, a 24 guitar still in it's box is a pretty special find.

True that for sure....but there is something about truth in advertising - particularly under the scruitiny of our little cork sniffing group here (myself included)

togps said:
Veneer top.

For what it's worth, I just took delivery of a '78 LS60 and it is a one piece body (I was surprised to say the least). It also has what appears to be an original aluminum tailpiece but that could have just been replaced a long time ago.

You certainly know infinitely more about Tokai's than I do togps, and I just chalk my anomaly up to a builder's mistake. But they do happen from time to time.

I would be very surprised if this guitar has a one piece body. I have seen a couple of guitars that the owner thought were one piece bodies and they were wrong. Tokai does extremely good joins and some are almost impossible to pick.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
I would be very surprised if this guitar has a one piece body. I have seen a couple of guitars that the owner thought were one piece bodies and they were wrong. Tokai does extremely good joins and some are almost impossible to pick.

Mick

You could be right Mick - I have tried so hard to find the join on mine, but can't seem to. I'll keep looking!!! :p

:eek: ?821???

Bloody Hell! I should buy another LS85 and keep it for 20 years. Then again, I'd probably get that sort of return from a bank. maybe not.

Goestoeleven said:

Bloody Hell! I should buy another LS85 and keep it for 20 years. Then again, I'd probably get that sort of return from a bank. maybe not.

I checked interest rates with my bank yesterday (First Direct). Even though they are still charging 16.9% interest on their credit card, they have now reduced the interest on their ordinary savings account to 0.1%!!! Even the "high rate" savings account they offer is now only paying 1%.

So having our money tied up in a few decent guitars seems likely to produce a better return than "saving" it in a bank, at least for now.

stratman323 said:
Goestoeleven said:

I checked interest rates with my bank yesterday (First Direct). Even though they are still charging 16.9% interest on their credit card, they have now reduced the interest on their ordinary savings account to 0.1%!!! Even the "high rate" savings account they offer is now only paying 1%.

So having our money tied up in a few decent guitars seems likely to produce a better return than "saving" it in a bank, at least for now.

Buy a vintage guitar and put it away. The gains on them far outweigh any return from banks and the stock market. Sure they cost alot now but they'll only be worth more later. Who would have ever envisioned that a 59 Les Paul would be worth $250,000

Tell me about it!

My Mum as a teenager used to work in a music shop in the '50s that supplied all the local Trad Jazz and Skiffle guys.

They didn't stock expensive U.S. made kit like Gibsons (Most of their stuff came from Rosetti or Boosey & Hawkes, etc.) but they could order it in if you were prepared to wait a few months for it to be imported by ship.

She was incredulous when I told her what a '59 Les Paul is worth now!

But like she said, they were incredibly expensive even back then, so the opportunity of raising enough money on shop assistants wages to buy one as an investment was extremely unlikely. Shame. :cry:

Back