Tokai ES-100 in London

Music stores and pawn shops where Tokai guitars have been spotted for sale. New or used.

Moderators: ian, ned

JohnA
Guitar God

Post by JohnA » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:11 am

The MIJ on the headstock is a recent thing, nothing to worry about, looking at the pics though the ES130 headstock clearly has 'wings' i.e. the HS is made up of a main centre piece and then has two bits stuck on to make the HS shape. The EA100 looks like it could all be one picece which is a very high-end feature. Can you confirm??

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:32 am

Both headstocks have wings, it's just that they match the rest of the wood slightly better on the 100 compared to the 130. Very slight difference though. In fact there is very little to choose between both guitars.

luis
Guitar God

Post by luis » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:26 am

Made in japan stamped on the back of headstock= 2005 and later.

I had an ES-120 in sunburst(great finish)and I liked it,only thing I slightly was not 100% glad(but glad overall however ) was neck width at nut,I?d prefer a bit wider neck there. Never tried an old one but I would ebe ver interested in(I?m wondering about a trade for amy LS-180CTM).Now I dig about wasn?t able to buy a Pacifix series ES-1 or 2,if anyone knows where to get anyof them, just let me know please.

Goestoeleven
Guitar God

Post by Goestoeleven » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:05 pm

Wunjo are good guys. I popped in a few times when they were 'round the corner near to the church.

Even though I told them I was only browsing and had no intention to buy anything they were very keen to talk guitars and show me through the finer points of some of their stock.
I'm certain that like you say they genuinely thought the Tokai was older than it turned out to be. Tokai knowledge is a lot harder to come by than, say, Fender for example.
Nice to see a shop where the owners are also enthusiasts. Vintage and Rare are like that too, but they can afford to be! You don't need to sell many guitars at their prices to make a comfortable living.

I hope Wunjo do well in the new location. They'll need to if they're going to pay those rents! :o
"My guitar is definitely a P**** extension. I play with it behind locked doors for my own amusement"

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:25 am

it just shows how easy it is to make a mistake, have u got any other pics?

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:45 am

What else would you like to see pics of, Mark? I'm not prepared to strip it down or remove anything, as it's being returned to the shop tomorrow or Tuesday, & I don't think it's reasonable to do that to somebody else's guitar. Especially as the shop have been so good about the mistake.

I did send Bob @ Tokai UK an e.mail, just to confirm that it is a 2002 ES100, & he replied:

Hi Mike most of the Japanse guitars have made in Japan on the back of the head stock but I am sure a few sneak through without it The ES100 that you have looks fine and like you say was made in 2002 thanks for the support

Best Regards
Bob Murdoch
Tokai guitars UK

Bob has given me his permission to pass his e.mail to the shop, so at least I can give them confirmation of what it actually is.

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:47 am

ser no and fretboard would be cool ..has it got fret binding?

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:51 am

The serial number is on the sticker, which you can see on the link I posted on the previous page. No fret edge binding - not that I can any point in this detail, though I know it matters to some people. I see you have an early ES100 listed on your site, & it has fret edge binding. Do you know when Tokai stopped doing this?

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:01 am

ah sorry m8 didnt see the link before...

fret binding on all 80 + models until 1982 ..

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:03 am

villager wrote:ah sorry m8 didnt see the link before...

fret binding on all 80 + models until 1982 ..
Until 1982? They only started the ES models in 1981, didn't they?

:o

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:05 am

yes, for the es models fret binding on the 100 and 150 at least until 84 to my knowledge,

for the LP's its different tho, LS-80's stopped getting fret binding somewhere between 1982 and 1984 i think..

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:36 am

Can someone help me with the "correct" way to set the tailpiece on an ES? On the ES130, it's like this:

On the ES100, like this:

What difference does this make?

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:37 am

Fret edges on the ES100, in case you still want to see them, Mark.

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:41 am

I've always been taught that you want to crank down the tailpiece just far enough so that the strings to NOT rest on the edge of the bridge frame. You should be able to slide a piece of paper between the strings and the bridge frame.

Some people say crank it all the way down regardless of the strings and the bridge. But it puts a hell of a lot of stress on the bridge posts if you do and if your action is fairly high, you can bend the posts. Look at the difference between your two photos.

JohnA
Guitar God

Post by JohnA » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:48 am

marcusnieman wrote:I've always been taught that you want to crank down the tailpiece just far enough so that the strings to NOT rest on the edge of the bridge frame. You should be able to slide a piece of paper between the strings and the bridge frame.

Some people say crank it all the way down regardless of the strings and the bridge. But it puts a hell of a lot of stress on the bridge posts if you do and if your action is fairly high, you can bend the posts. Look at the difference between your two photos.
Exactly what my response would have been, but you got there first Marcus :wink: Togps Faber kit allows you to clamp the bridge in place, improving sustain and stopping it falling off and denting your lovely flame top, without screwing it all the way down.