1985 Tokai LS-?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f5joe

Reaction score
Please tell me that the dimpled headstock here is not from 1985. But when?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250295540348

They were made with the dimple for only 1 year...1985. The dimple was for guitar's destined for US distribution. This was due to Gibson telling them to stop making exact copies of their instruments. After the dimple appeared, Gibson still wasn't satisfied and told them change it again.

A tell-tale sign for the year is the serial number which can be seen in a picture to be 5025117 The 5 denotes the year of production which is 1985. if it was made in 1995 the serial would start with 95, and if it was built in 2005, it would start with a 05. The 2nd number in the serial was always a 0 in the 80's. The 3rd number is the production run, 1 for 1st run, 2 for 2nd run.

Navybass, welcome.

Your response is the same as the ebay seller's, perhaps that's you. I don't like dimples (except on the ladies). I see dimples on UK sold guitars currently ..... so I'm inclined to doubt the 1985 statement.

Not being rude, just careful. Thanks, Joe :)

f5joe said:
I don't like dimples (except on the ladies)

Joe,
I don't like dimples as well ... on the headstock of guitars, but should you really have forgotten that the ladies have 'nipples' ???
Mate ... how old are you if an old warhorse like me must correct you ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roger

tudor said:
but should you really have forgotten that the ladies have 'nipples' ???

So do Tokais! That "dimple" is actually a protuberance, not a recess, therefore it's a nipple or a pimple, not a dimple.

Mike

f5joe said:
Navybass, welcome.

Your response is the same as the ebay seller's, perhaps that's you. I don't like dimples (except on the ladies). I see dimples on UK sold guitars currently ..... so I'm inclined to doubt the 1985 statement.

Not being rude, just careful. Thanks, Joe :)

I don't mind your doubt, however I remember seeing these in music stores back in 1985 and owned one back then, and they did have dimples on the headstock. I was 20 in 85, so it wasn't like a snot nosed little kid's recollection.

Also, if you doubt the 85 statement, please provide proof that it isn't. The person who posted the listing on ebay has provided much proof as to it being made in 1985, however, no one has provided proof of it not being an 85.

I'm going by my eyes and the FACT that I saw these back in 1985 and even owned one of the 85 models made in Japan and it did have the dimple.

You're right about our answers looking similar, which is probably due to the serial number, and he might have got the info at this site. I was looking at this guitar because it was similar to the one I used to own, and found this web site because of that listing.

BTW, no it's not my guitar on ebay.

stratman323 said:
tudor said:
but should you really have forgotten that the ladies have 'nipples' ???

So do Tokais! That "dimple" is actually a protuberance, not a recess, therefore it's a nipple or a pimple, not a dimple.

Mike

Mike,
I'm overwhelmed again and again by your knowledge and definition concerning the English language ... we should have met when I was staying in your country for one year in '91 ...
Guess I would have learned alot more than I've done actually ... although I did my trainings in English for a UK's International Training Group all the time ...
Sorry for saying that ... I wouldn't buy a Tokai with a nipple / pimple ...
The reason is simple ... it doesn't meet the correct specs ...
Roger

stratman323 said:
Roger,

I can swear in German, and that's about it! :cry:

If you'd visit me in Germany ... that would be enough ...
But - you should hire some body guards at first ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
... or accompany me ... all the time ... :wink:
Roger

Navybass: My apologies, I don't doubt you as much as I doubt me on this. That's why I raised the question. To date, you're the only one attempting to help me. I appreciate that.

The rest of these mates are focused on nipples and such. :lol:

f5joe said:
Navybass: My apologies, I don't doubt you as much as I doubt me on this. That's why I raised the question. To date, you're the only one attempting to help me. I appreciate that.

BOAAAAAHHHHH ... that was heavy ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roger

f5joe said:

Not a problem at all.

I also remember that soon after this, Tokai pretty much stopped selling guitars to US distributors. I guess Gibson and Fender had pressured them enough. This is also why Edwards and direct copy Tokai guitars can't be distributed in the States. They look exactly like a Les Paul. right down the the open book headstock shape.

Fender somewhat turned themselves around and started making a good product again however, IMO Gibson seems to be going in the other direction. They're removing wood to "lighten the guitars. You know what that means in my eyes, the consumer is paying more money for less product. We're not getting all the wood we paid for. :lol: With that said, Gibson is probably upset that the Japanese companies can make a better product for less money and if they sold it here, it would sink Gibson.

f5joe said:

I would help - but I don't know!

Mine has the dimple on the headstock and you know what? I don't give a monkeys! :lol: It's an excellent guitar.

I like the dimple personally. It proves it's a genuine Love Rock and not one of those feeble copies made in the States with "Gibson" on the headstock where it should say "Tokai". :wink:

My theory about these is that it's a bit like a 3rd nipple, which when you think about it is just unnatural. Probably still a nice guitar though! Here's from the '85 catalogue--these are US models:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai_85-86_electric_p7.jpg

If you click on the magnifier you can see it's there! :D
________
MICHIGAN DISPENSARY

cheshirecatsmile said:
My theory about these is that it's a bit like a 3rd nipple, which when you think about it is just unnatural. Probably still a nice guitar though! Here's from the '85 catalogue--these are US models:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai_85-86_electric_p7.jpg

If you click on the magnifier you can see it's there! :D

Take note of the nipple in that pic. Also, as was said before, Love Rock's were not made in Korea until much later.

Cheshirecatsmile pretty much provided the final proof needed with that picture.

My thought on the nipple is who cares! Does it affect playability? Nope. Does it affect the tone? Nope. OK, so it looks a bit different, if you wanted a guitar that looked exactly like a Gibson then go buy a Gibson. The nipple is what gives this guitar a unique identity.

Latest posts

Back