any advice on this guitar please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesblues

Reaction score
Hi, I am keen to buy a japanese tokai tele and saw this one on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170243554630&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

I don't know enough to tell if it is genuine or not or if the price is realistic. The serial number is on the plate joining the neck to the body. I thought the numbers always appeared on the neck itself at the headstock??

Any advice, information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Looks to be the real deal, about 1984-85 would be my guess based on the logo style.
Unless he opens it up it's impossible to be sure though.

/Magnus

Thanks for the response. What would I look for if he opened it up? and is ?350 a fair price in your opinion?

I really appreciate your input.

Les

If it's all good there will be codes on the end of the neck and in the electronics cavity, something like "2=11". Also the pickups should be untouched (although I must confess I don't know enough about Tokai's tele pups).
I'd say ?300 is on the money, 350 sounds a bit much.
I don't live in the UK though! In Sweden ?350 would be cheap...

Hi again, The code on the neck, would i be right in thinking it should appear just under the headstock at the back? Also should the headstock not have the model name as well as saying Tokai?

Thanks for your help.
Les

Well, on the end of the neck really, by the trussrod. Not visible unless you take the neck off.
I've seen other Tokais with only the name on the headstock so I know they exist. I have no idea why though...

/Magnus

Here's a hint to what this guitar could be, look at the bridge

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8822&highlight=breezysound

If it has a V shaped neck profile ???

Chris :wink:

I noticed the guitar too, though I'm not keen on the painted neck. Chris - what makes you think it might be a TE80?

Mike

hi chaps
I just want to thank you for your help. unfortunatly I don't feel confident enough to buy the guitar sight unseen. So instead, today I'm going to look at a Fender American Standard Telecaster for sale privately and within resonable travelling distance. wish me luck! And thanks again.

Les

Hmmm, I hope you like the Fender - I have always found that the American Standards are too "clean" and clinical to capture that strange Tele sound. And if it's going to cost you much more than ?300, it's probably nowhere near such good value either.

Latest posts

Back