Caution: DryZ's on Ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Tone

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Greco-Z-dry-pic...ryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm a bit suspect of the claims listed in the auction. These are supposed to be original covers / solder joints although the joints look a bit rough and there are some smudge marks around them where someone could have cleaned the area prior to soldering. Most DryZ's I have seen had wax on the base plate but there are no signs of it here. Cleaning it off would have most likely removed the stamp.

One of the covers don't appear to fit well. If you look close at the pics you can see that the screw holes don't line up well. It looks like in one pic on the far left screw that it is set below the cover and raising it may catch it.

The covers looked well aged but the screw pole pieces are very clean. At the least I would say that the covers are not original and possibly not correct although the seller claims he knows what guitar they came from. I'm not saying it's the case but that Z wouldn't be all that hard to replicate either. This seller has had a lot of Z's up for auction lately. I guess I'm a bit skeptical.

Howdy Steve. Yep, I already saw that seller's auctions before. He sold at least two or three sets of Zs since sometime.
Looking at those the pole screws look new compared to the covers.

Yeah the pole pieces stand out the most. I wonder if they are even Z's. All of them I have seen have excess wax on the bottom. I wonder if the Z stamp is authentic. These are bringing enough money now that some imposter's may start showing up.

Big Willie Style said:
...Maybe he went over to the dark side...

I think so...

palpatine.jpg

:lol:

Ok.... I am going stand up for HMGUITARS on Ebay.... Hirotaka is one of the best and most acturate sellers in Japan.. I have purchased many Super Reals from Hirotaka and Dry-Z's... He has been playing and collecting guitars for years. He is simply selling off some of his collection. I have purchased Dry-Z's in the past from him and the Ohms have been right on and in the spec's for Dry-Z's I ought to know I have 9 pairs myself... MarkF (Villager knows him real well and I am sure he would back me up on this one. ONCE AGAIN HE IS FOR REAL>>>>>> Cliff

I'm not really implying that he is crooked. I'm questioning the product listed. He may be under the impression that the listing is correct. I don't know if it is his private collection or if he obtained them from another source. My point is that the covers do not look original to me as stated. Usually the screw pole pieces would be oxidized to near the point the covers are. What I can see of the solder joints are suspect. That makes me a bit curious. Aside from the Z stamp that could be easily duplicated those look no different than an early pair of Maxon pups.

I don't think it's in good taste to come online and trash a seller and that is not my intent. But I do disagree with the product disrciption. I'm also raising awareness about the possibility of fake Z's coming about. Again he could have someone suppling him with such a product and not know it.

Steve,...... You have every right to suspect something may be array. I am simply stating my dealings with him and I stand behind him in my past transaction in and out of E-Bay. People can change and I certainly hope he has not gone to the darkseid.... afterall I sure would miss a fantastic source of Japan guitars... If someone is suspect of the Dry-Z's I would email him and voice your concerns and see if he would stand behind the pups and offer a return...Cheers... Cliff

Right. I quoted Steve, but if Hirotaka is ok I'm happy for him and for any possible buyer. I don't know the story of the EGF-1800 he took the pups out, but that's something I certainly wouldn't do. Beside this, Cliffs you said you have several pairs: any for sale?
8)

Right. I quoted Steve, but if Hirotaka is ok I'm happy for him and for any possible buyer. I don't know the story of the EGF-1800 he took the pups out, but that's something I certainly wouldn't do. Beside this, Cliffs you said you have several pairs: any for sale?

Update.. I had a conversation with Hirotaka yesterday and the Dry-Z's were taken out of the EGF-1800 3 years ago before prices started escalating.. He does not have the 1800 anymore.. As for me... I am holding on the Dry-Z's as IMO they are underpriced due to the limited availablility and the killer sound that they produce.. Best,... Cliff

CliffsComicWorld said:
... I am holding on the Dry-Z's as IMO they are underpriced due to the limited availablility and the killer sound that they produce..

Having always played guitar instead making business out of it, I've always been against speculating on it. Drys sound great, but this doesn't mean they have a value without limits.
If so, how much would it be a set of original '50 pafs?
8)

Ikkyu said:
CliffsComicWorld said:
... I am holding on the Dry-Z's as IMO they are underpriced due to the limited availablility and the killer sound that they produce..

Having always played guitar instead making business out of it, I've always been against speculating on it. Drys sound great, but this doesn't mean they have a value without limits.
If so, how much would it be a set of original '50 pafs?
8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-PAF-Vintage-Double-Creme-Humbuckers_W0QQitemZ190237835252QQihZ009QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Those DRY-Z's are a give-away :wink:

Well..... A pairs of PAFs for over $6K.... would this be a bargin in Euro's?... if not then maybe this is a bargain?... I'll stick with the Dry-Z's

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAF-Pickup-Gibson-1959-Les-Paul-Original-Vintage_W0QQitemZ200241141244QQihZ010QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Considering there are probably just as few DRY-Z's in the world as pre 1960 PAF's, the DRY-Z's are a bargain, I've never played a set of real '59 PAF's but they can not be worth that sort of money!! A set of used DRY-Z's may appear expensive, but they are only about the same price as a new set of WCR's or equivalent, and they sound fantastic!

Saying that so do WCR, Florance, Wolfetone etc, but taking rarity in to account the DRY-Z's are good value for money.

Just found the exact same pickups on Yahoo Japan????

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d86787963

Back