Found this MIJ Tokai Telecaster on Reverb, advise needed, please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David UK

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for my first ever MIJ guitar, want a Telecaster model.

Found this on Reverb. Would appreciate if someone would cast an eye over it and advise me if this is the real deal.

https://reverb.com/item/28979663-tokai-breezysound-made-in-japan

Thank you for reading
David

Hi David, I'm not the resident Tokai expert but that appears to be a post-2000 ATE-50 (MIJ stamp above the heel, unmarked bridge, no serial). AFAIK they sold for ~450 quid back then, so the price appears to be <cough> a bit steep (even considering the usual Reverb.com markup). I hope some UK based experts will chime in here.

My advice would be messaging the seller and asking for his "non-Reverb" price.

Homer J. Simpson said:
Hi David, I'm not the resident Tokai expert but that appears to be a post-2000 ATE-50 (MIJ stamp above the heel, unmarked bridge, no serial). AFAIK they sold for ~450 quid back then, so the price appears to be <cough> a bit steep (even considering the usual Reverb.com markup). I hope some UK based experts will chime in here.

My advice would be messaging the seller and asking for his "non-Reverb" price.

Hello, Homer (that felt strange typing Homer JS)

Thank you for the reply, your help is appreciated. I have had a closer look at the photos and there are scratches on the back and front of the body, in addition to the ding/dent they mentioned.

I will wait to see if anyone else can offer they views/comments on it.

Cheers
David

seems reasonable for the lower end MIJ, if the price is an issue go for a Chinese on for now whilst you are learning. the condition is good from the pics and you will add your own dings soon enough.

Back