Burny Les Paul Custom (1983?)

Discussion area for Burny/ Fernandes guitars

Moderator: ned

sambo27
Power chords are my friend

Post by sambo27 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks for your opinion on the dating Rich.

The last thing I wanted to do was start an argument of any sorts here.

All I can see is that when I bought the Burny, I was a newbie to the MIJ market (less so now, but I'm still not exactly that clued-up anyway), and I trusted the seller. Some kind of undisputed resource perhaps would have helped so that I could have checked the dating myself, instead of taking the word of the seller without question. I perhaps should have been more rigorous with my questioning, but short of being an expert in the field I don't see how I could have known if what I was being told was the truth or not.

Anyway, I guess there isn't 100% clarification on the date of my particular Burny. But it's quite concerning to know that any seller may be making claims that he is not sure of, especially when these claims can hike up the price.

I will have to talk to Mark again I suppose and see what his take on this is.

Thanks,

Sam.

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Post by MIJvintage » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:18 am

sambo27 wrote: The last thing I wanted to do was start an argument of any sorts here.

Sam.
No one here should have a problem with any of this debate; without the open & frank discussion that is the foundation of the TF, there would be much less continuing learning, and sharing of knowledge of these older MIJ gems that we all have a fancy for.............
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... ij_vintage

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:52 am

Have there been any developments on this issue? I'm intrigued, having read all the different comments about the guitar.

btmish
Guitar God

Post by btmish » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:54 pm

stratman323 wrote:Have there been any developments on this issue? I'm intrigued, having read all the different comments about the guitar.
I may be off here
Last edited by btmish on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leadguitar_323
Guitar God

Post by leadguitar_323 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi all :) , c'mon Mark {villager} i'm keen to know where you got the information to date this guitar, i have an earlie 80's RR custom and it has the correct "split diamond" inlay and i have seen plenty of these. The blue one in question is more than likely a late eighties or early nineties model, they pop up on yahoo japan all the time. Not trying to be a smart arse, i'd just like to know how you came to this conclusion.

Cheers Mick
so many guitars....so little money...

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Post by MIJvintage » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:53 pm

TF member bart was nice enough to post a link to the 1985 Fernandes catalog (thanks BART 8) ) in another thread http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php ... ght=#61990 and from looking at page 39, it is plain to see that the RLC models have the correct 5 piece head stock inlay, not the later 'lightning bolt' style inlay such as Sam's (blue) RLC

As I previously stated in this thread, the earliest I would date Sam's example to is a 1986 model but it is likely later than that...............

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis

leadguitar_323
Guitar God

Post by leadguitar_323 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:56 pm

I agree.. :wink:
Mick

Franc
Plucker

Post by Franc » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:04 am

My black Custom has a serial number inside the bridge pup cavity, have you checked?
I found it as I replaced the pickup. It's 82702 by the way, but it hasn't helped me much.

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Post by MIJvintage » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 pm

Franc wrote:My black Custom has a serial number inside the bridge pup cavity, have you checked?
I found it as I replaced the pickup. It's 82702 by the way, but it hasn't helped me much.
that is likely a 1988 model, going by the first digit

MIJconvert
Sus4add11

Post by MIJconvert » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:04 pm

this is quite an awkward moment....

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Post by MIJvintage » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:29 pm

MIJconvert wrote:this is quite an awkward moment....
what? you find something warm, dark, and smelly in your drawers? :o

leadguitar_323
Guitar God

Post by leadguitar_323 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:27 pm

Hahahahahahahaha....ewwwwww..... :o

Mick

MIJconvert
Sus4add11

Post by MIJconvert » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:30 pm

not quite, apparently theres a finish called "Queerburst" as a custom shop option.

Now they're introducing a "Trans-burst", it changes according to time of day...

This custom shop must really loves talking with customers about cavities, tenons, tailpieces and straplocks...................

You've been warned stay away from Gibsons....

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:55 pm

The silence on this matter is deafening.... :o

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Post by MIJvintage » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:27 pm

stratman323 wrote:The silence on this matter is deafening.... :o
maybe MIJconvert meant to say, 'this is an awkward & quiet moment' since the seller has not replied so, it actually has turned into a dead thread :lol: ......................