burny les paul is to heavy, should i route out the back?

Discussion area for Burny/ Fernandes guitars

Moderator: ned

burnyIII
Guitar God

Post by burnyIII » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:25 am

stratman323 wrote:The bass player in my band has a bad back now, & he had to cancel rehearsal last week. I met him last night and told him he's a wimp & a fag.

He told me to go f*** myself.

Seemed fair enough really
I hope your bass players back gets better after routing out the body of his bass. ;)
Let there be Rock !

bashbrook
Guitar God

Post by bashbrook » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:45 am

I had a similar issue with my >10lb Burny LP Custom.

I wasn't that happy with the weight but loved the guitar. In the end, I sold it although I did consider (and reject) the idea of routing it out.

What fascinates me is the big difference in feel between an 8lb Lester that feels realtively light and the 10lb ones that feel heavy. It's odd that those extra 2lbs seem to make so much difference!

burnyIII
Guitar God

Post by burnyIII » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:19 am

bashbrook wrote:.....

What fascinates me is the big difference in feel between an 8lb Lester that feels realtively light and the 10lb ones that feel heavy. It's odd that those extra 2lbs seem to make so much difference!
Difference in sound, or in handling? Or both?
Could you describe the difference a little closer?
Thx in advance.
Let there be Rock !

snakehips
Sus4add11

Post by snakehips » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:23 am

Could go the routing route (!) myself, take a deep breath and trade it on.

Surprised no one's mentioned the 335 - light weight, great LP sounds, with, to my ears, more definition and character. You can also access the dusty end easily unlike LPs and to a lesser extent, Strats.

A good Strat is hard to beat for earthiness and soul, but a 335 gets closer than most, helping humbuckers deliver complexity as well as power. I've two Greco's, a SA-1200 ('80) and SA-900 ('78) - both have wonderful tone. I went 35+ years without trying the 335 model....curses!

Single coils don't sound thin until played alongside a humbucker - 'body' helps describe the difference, humbuckers have more of it.

Both pups sound great, but different.

PS Also have a 'Seymour Duncan' branded ESP Strat.

big-ace
Guitar God

Post by big-ace » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:50 pm

maybe go for an Edwards LP, as they seem to be fairly light for a LP. in the 3.7 - 4kg range.

Jimbob78
I only know 3 chords

Post by Jimbob78 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:52 am

I wouldn't route it. Personally, I'd get a good strap (amazing the difference this makes), sell it and get a lighter guitar.
There's always weight training, but I doubt a heavy Les Paul is sufficient motivation for you :P

bluejeannot
Guitar God

Post by bluejeannot » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:48 am

What is the difference between as Les Paul and alump of concrete?None,except that the Les Paul burns better! Gabe.
bluejeannot

bobwise
Sus4add11

Post by bobwise » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:03 am

What sort of strap are you using? A wide padded strap can make the guitar feel a lot more comfortable. There is (or was) some company that makes a "harness" system -- a strap over each shoulder to distribute the weight.

I don't like 10lb+ Les Pauls even when I'm sitting down. They make my leg go sleep. And I've kept my keys in my left pocket ever since the '70s, because they used to leave bruises and puncture wounds in my leg under the weight of an 11 lb Goldtop Deluxe. I used to fantasize about routing it from the back, and then capping it with a thin sheet of flame maple. But as others have mentioned, at best you ruin its value and at worst you ruin the guitar. There are plenty of sub 9 lb LPs available. and quite a few featherweight chambered LPs available.

There are plenty of people out there that make Zakk Wylde look like a wimp who would love a 10.5 lb Paul. It makes more sense to let her go to a good home and find yourself a less dense guitar, unless a different strap makes it tolerable.

big-ace
Guitar God

Post by big-ace » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:59 am

bluejeannot wrote:What is the difference between as Les Paul and alump of concrete?None,except that the Les Paul burns better! Gabe.
whats the difference between a dickhead and ***. well, just a Les Paul and the ability to play it.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:06 am

big-ace wrote:whats the difference between a dickhead and ***. well, just a Les Paul and the ability to play it.
Hmmm, shame that doesn't work.... :-?

big-ace
Guitar God

Post by big-ace » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:27 am

generally the dickhead takes a les paul an says 'this guitar sucks, plays like crap'', but it is always the dickheads fault. or would you rather play a lump of concrete and look like a total dickhead... but a les paul does burn better right?

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:34 am

Could we have that in English please? :-?

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:43 pm

big-ace wrote:generally the dickhead takes a les paul an says 'this guitar sucks, plays like crap'', but it is always the dickheads fault. or would you rather play a lump of concrete and look like a total dickhead... but a les paul does burn better right?
Huh?

big-ace
Guitar God

Post by big-ace » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:03 am

basically saying if you can shred on a LP your the man (a la John Sykes, Doug Aldrich, Vivian Campell etc). most people bag a LP because they cant play one. i mean they have the tone, but alot of guys are not man enough to play a Les Paul.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:07 am

Yeah, that's a really intelligent comment. :roll:

Hendrix was such a wimp, wasn't he? I'm sure you're much more of a real man than he ever was.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: