Burny cap upgade

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telenut62

Reaction score
I just swapped the greenies for a set of .022 Mustard Capacitors, man what a diff. I found that after installing them into my Burny equipped PAF'S, they were crisper than the paper in oil caps which I have also tried. There was a noticeable difference running through a tube preamp with distortion as well as clean. I highly recommend you give it a go.

I'm taking those greenies out as soon as I can, to be replaced with PIO caps similar to the luxe bumblebees found in '50s Les Pauls. Hopefully it will open up the tone and make my VH-4s sound a bit "less ****" :)

Mono said:
I'm taking those greenies out as soon as I can, to be replaced with PIO caps similar to the luxe bumblebees found in '50s Les Pauls. Hopefully it will open up the tone and make my VH-4s sound a bit "less ^&*(" :)
:wink: Don't ya mean Sprague Bumblebees on 50's LP's. I always change the caps in all mine except, the early ones like my Flg-90,Rlg-90 and SG75-AY, they all come with oil capacitors. Oil capacitors, should open up the tone quite a bit.

Hmm... not sure what I mean I guess. I've got a pair coming in from Jonesy on the other forum... NOS stuff, with the same capacitance as the 'bees used in 50's LPs. I have never only upgraded caps before, so this is make or break for whether they make a difference or not. It was $17 shipped for the pair, so no real harm done either way :)

Yeah, If it's those Russian K40Y caps, there pretty similar to bumblebees. I'll also add, there the same caps used to make those Luxe Bumblebee clones, only they don't cost 48.00us a pair. I have some in a OBG. Sound good to me. :D

Back