Plywood in Burny

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koubayashi

Reaction score
I had the incident with a Custom where the head snapped. Found IKEA wood in the head and thought that was funny.

Now I had some more serious incidents. I dropped some heavy stuff on a black Burny Std by accident and a piece of the top came off.
I looked at it and thought it was strange that the finish was 3mm thick. Then I looked again and saw that the top actually consists of plywood with a 0.7mm thick veneer pressed over it. Basically it is contour pressed plywood with a veneer on top. No wonder the LP weighs just 3.6kg
This is an LP with VH1, FEB and so on. Strange.

So I got paranoid and checked my other Burnys. Turned out that those that are finished in transparent colours were all maple but among those that are finished in solid colour I found a few more with plywood tops.

I never suspected anything and when I knocked on the tops they all sounded like proper solid wood.

Anyone having similar experiences?

No, I don't but I love your posts! It's great new info!
I am volunteering smashing a few of your guitars if necessary, I always wanted to do something like that 8)

hi
never had a burny custom ,,,,, but i think ,,, if i want a burny custom ... i will look for the an early 80 models .. :D :D
pretty sure the are build the right way :D :D
never seen a early burny that has been bad build :D :D
all the best
otto

muccax said:
hi
never had a burny custom ,,,,, but i think ,,, if i want a burny custom ... i will look for the an early 80 models .. :D :D
pretty sure the are build the right way :D :D
never seen a early burny that has been bad build :D :D
all the best
otto

Yes, that is a point I forgot to mention.
The ones I found plywood in were all the later series (those with yellow caps).

jacco said:
No, I don't but I love your posts! It's great new info!
I am volunteering smashing a few of your guitars if necessary, I always wanted to do something like that 8)

Well, to start with. There is some kind of religious atmosphere here :D
The same you find on the Les Paul forum :D

People tend to not be pragmatic about reality.

Here in Sweden there is a strong consesus not to mention such things.
Of corse it is all in favour for those who try to make money on Japanese guitars and tied themselves up with heavy mortgages just to build a stock. There is obviously a correlation between the mortgage and the ability to sell :D

Can't someone volunteer and smash a late 80's solid colour Burny?
FOr the sake of science :D

Koubayashi said:

Of corse it is all in favour for those who try to make money on Japanese guitars and tied themselves up with heavy mortgages just to build a stock. There is obviously a correlation between the mortgage and the ability to sell :D

It's merely human to not (want to) see flaws of something you really like because it will decrease the pleasure you are deriving from it if you do.
From a seller's point of view there are of course other forces working :D

That's why I like your posts: they are great observations and shedding new light on guitar heaven

jacco said:
Koubayashi said:

It's merely human to not (want to) see flaws of something you really like because it will decrease the pleasure you are deriving from it if you do.
From a seller's point of view there are of course other forces working :D

That's why I like your posts: they are great observations and shedding new light on guitar heaven

Well, I guess I am one of those idiots looking for the truth :D
And of course, I have had and have more Japanese copies than most people on this forum have had. Ultimately that means if there is a number of less well made guitars I am more likely to end up with them :D

I also will not hesitate to say that I had a Greco Mint Collection EG600 that was better than most other Grecos I had or played.
So the model number is not always on pair with the actual quality.

never had a plywood burny, always proper maple caps on all of them, and thats always something I check for as standard, but then I mostly go for the earlier ones, or later ones with nice flametops,

lets see some pics so we know what to look for..

villager said:
never had a plywood burny, always proper maple caps on all of them, and thats always something I check for as standard, but then I mostly go for the earlier ones, or later ones with nice flametops,

lets see some pics so we know what to look for..

My flametops and earlier are all safe too.
But the yellow cap solid colour Burnys seem to vary.
The yellow cap models came when the Japanese economy were slow as hell so it make sense.

villager said:
so solid colour with the later truss rod cover with wings??

get some pics up !!

Will upload tonight. Must lay down on my sofa now :D

Yes, its later t-rod covers with wings and the late 80s with yellow caps.

sneakyjapan said:
you haven`t been at this as long as some others have.

I salute you oh prince of Japanese guitars.
PM me your address and I will mail you a crown and a cape!

Latest posts

Back