My first Burny arrived in one piece!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mono

Reaction score
I'm so happy it got here all the way from Japan.
I'm really happy with the bang-for-buck I got on this, I had been lurking for a few months waiting for a good deal like this one.

DSC02687.jpg
DSC02686.jpg

From what I can gather from my other thread here and on MLP, it is a '91-ish RLG-70ish.
The top is definitely a veneer and the TRC is winged. Pickups have silver bottoms, grey leads, and the caps are green in the cavity.
Also has a long neck tenon and looks to be finished (quite poorly) in nitrocellulose or some other laquer.
Note the drips on either side of the cutaways from where it was left standing up to cure.

Looks like your pickups are also VH-1's from the labels on the surround rings. Great pickups and a good looking guitar. Heavy?

VH-1s, but not the original ones that came out in the early '80s, right?
I have heard the pickups that are supposedly in this guitar referred to as VH-4s sometimes.
They are also meant to sound a bit tighter and less airy (more modern, if you will).
Haven't plugged it in yet and haven't got original VH-1s to compare them to even if I did.
I am sure they sound fine :)

It isn't actually that heavy. Seller said that it weighed 9.5lbs but I can't complain about the weight.
I stood up with it and it felt right. I used to own an SG and now I know what a proper guitar is supposed to feel like :D

Wow fantastic top man! Yeah those are the later 85 and on VH-1 AKA VH-4's. Honestly they are every bit as good as the original but just hotter and more crunchy is all. I suspect the original owner re-sprayed that top with lacquer and not factory derived. Still a killer guitar man, happy to have had you join the Burny crew! :D Looks like it has an aluminum Gotoh tail piece as well judging from the coned shape to it

Thanks Udo. I might refinish it myself one day, in a more professional/lemondrop fashion. It will do for now though.

From what I can see on the other side of the bridge and tailpiece, it says they are from an SG. Can't remember exactly what it says, but I don't think they are original. Will photograph when I change strings.

Beautiful burny you finally picked up andy :D Your pictures show up the top lovely,real nice,they show off the guitar very well.Congrats my man ...........

Yeah ,i have an OBG with a SG tailpiece john.

MOJO HOBO

It does have a heel-cap, yes. Was pretty hard to see though, I only noticed it when I went looking for it. What does it indicate about it?

I dont know much about it at all, :oops: I was told in another post that they stopped using heel caps in 85/86, so they may have started using them again in the 90s. Any more info would be much appreciated by both of us I'm sure.
Pete.

It looks like yours has a heelcap, but I am not 100% sure on that. Funny colours on my monitor :S

I had a Burny with a SG stamped tailpice also.Burnys hardware is good but Greco is better in my opinion....

Max The Dog said:
Here's mine, not sure about year or model :roll: any help with identification would be much appreciated.
Pete.

BURNY003.jpg

BURNY004.jpg

BURNY005.jpg

heelandcontrolcavity005.jpg

MYBURNYFEB22010013.jpg

im not sure if your photo has faithfully presented the finish on your guitar but if its a light-brown sunburst, it could well be a 1992-93 Burny LG75GR with VH4s.

003.jpg

003.jpg

what follows after closest to your guitar is the 2003 RLG90 but that has a 3-screw TRC.

indicative of the christmas tree TRC and having without the 'Les Paul' signature on the headstock i think therefore, this is a LG75GR.

:D

yubsesperat said:
what follows after closest to your guitar is the 2003 RLG90 but that has a 3-screw TRC.

indicative of the christmas tree TRC and having without the 'Les Paul' signature on the headstock i think therefore, this is a LG75GR.

:D
I have a 2003 rlg-90 with the 2 screw TRC but, I have noticed 3 screw in the catalog?

Latest posts

Back