magnet swapping in VH-1

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesowden

Reaction score
has anyone had good results from changing the magnet in a VH-1 and can you tell me what the standard mag tends to be in them- i,m assuming alnico but 2,3,4,5?
the pup i,m thinking about changing is from an 80s supergrade - it doesn,t have braided wire but grey plastic coated instead and 4 brass screws in the silver base plate; because of this i imagine its not early 80s but would that still be a later VH-1?

Yeah different magnets will give different results. Just depends on what you have to swap out and what you like. Most of the MIJ pickups are good candidates to experiment with.

actually Udonitron, i have flipped the magnet in the neck pup of this supergade and it sounds great-sounds better that way to my ears than wiring a guitar out of phase. its not that i dislike the bridge pup thats in there, more that i like to experiment . if it doesnt work out i can always return it to its original state. i take it from your reply you must think i,m crazy!! which is probably fair enough.
any ideas as to what the original magnet might be?

Back