Question about VH-1's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telenut62

Reaction score
Hi all I'm pretty new the the world of Burny's Tokai's etc. and I'm awaiting the arrival of my first Burny. I researched a fair bit before taking the plunge, working out all the diff models, headstocks, pups etc just as I had done with the JV's Now it seems to me that sellers make a point of highlighting that the guitar they are selling has VH-1's and more often than not they are the later version not the earlier braided wire ones. Seems to me that some buyers wouldn't be aware of this and that there is a huge diff between the two types. Am I right or do most MIJ Gibby lawsuit enthusiasts know there are two types of VH's

The problem about the first VH-1 is they were only sold as a replacement, so you should be incredibly lucky to find a guitar owned by someone who swapped them at the time or, even more difficult, a set someone bought as spare part.

Ikkyu said:
The problem about the first VH-1 is they were only sold as a replacement, so you should be incredibly lucky to find a guitar owned by someone who swapped them at the time or, even more difficult, a set someone bought as spare part.

True, they were initially sold as ala carte, but they were also stock in the early-mid 80's RLG-150 and 120 '59 models. The full 1985 catalog shows this. Early RLG-90's also came with braided lead pup's which may have also been a transition to original VH-1's from the L8001's.

I think most MIJ folks know the difference between the original VH-1 and the newer later 80's early 90's models... enthusiastic sellers though like to capitalize on the "VH-1" rep :wink:

hi
i got a burny sg angus young model and it has the vh1 ....
i also got a 1980 flg 90 with L8001 ... they sound the same in my ears :D :D
all the best
otto

....I think most MIJ folks know the difference between the original VH-1 and the newer later 80's early 90's models... enthusiastic sellers though like to capitalize on the "VH-1" rep ......

That sums it up pretty much as I've seen it, the ol' braided wires are the key. Though lots of diff models have braided wire........ also I've read somewhere that VH-1's usually have a zebra config. Is that true or can they be black?

hi
and yes ,,,, i think they are vh1 ,,,, metal coulour base plate and braided wire ,,, they are 7,5 k ohm ,,, it think the AY model is from before 85 ,,, in 85 the AY model had ligtning inlays on the neck
pictures here
http://imageevent.com/chingo123/september2009/burnysgred4514
all the best
otto

hi
in the 83 catalog ,,,, the pickup on the AY is L8000 .... so not easy to find out what pickup it is ,,,,
:D :D

hi
look here ,,,, some talk about the AY model
http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1364

all the best
otto

telenut62 said:
....also I've read somewhere that VH-1's usually have a zebra config. Is that true or can they be black?

all I can offer there is that in the '85 catalogue, the single VH-1 shown was a zebra. Someone that has popped a cover from their's will need to verify otherwise....

hi
i will look if it is zebra ,,,,, i got a sg from 83 ( it has a serial ) and it has black plastic wire ,,,, the neck pickup has a white stipe on it ,,, and i think thats is becourse the spacing on the pickups are not the same ,,, also ...
i got another sg from ca 83 ,,, a lp jr ? ,,,, flg 90 1980 ... and the all have 250k ohm pots (noble pots ) ... so i am thinking that you can id the old burny by the pots ,,,
on the flg 90 the pickups do not have the same spacing
i got this burny from nils moller ... i live in denmark too
so you can see a lot off pictures on his site off the flg 90
all the best
otto

I think the Vh1's being mentioned by these sellers is more just a statement of fact then a bid to capitalise on the Vh1 rep or mislead anyone. It like if youre selling a guitar with Dimarzio p/ups in it, in the description you'd mention the Dimarzio's. FWIW, I think the later VH1's sound great(having never tried the originals.

I didn't mean to imply they were trying to midlead anyone... The pups are what they are- VH-1's. Says so right on the sticker. And I am sure they are nice enough, as they are descended from the VH-2 - VH-4's of the mid 80's. The fault lies more with Burny reusing the VH-1 designation... Because they are not the same pup as the early L8001/VH-1, and folks that are new to the MIJ game could be unintentionally and unwittingly mis"directed":)

That was my point exactly as I fell into that trap and thought VH-1 was a VH-1... just further down the track. It wasn't till I researched it fully then it all came out in the wash. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those pups just that they are quite different to the original. Seems like the Burny mob used it purely as a marketing ploy IMO

I think it's the same thing as always: matter of tone.
The VH-1s, as well as the Dry-Zs, maybe the last ones more than the first, are told to be the closest to the original PAFs.
But: what's the "sound" of PAFs? It's the never ending story. Every PAF sounds different than the other, so one should guess what PAF the japaneses had replicated at that time.
8)

hi
i got a pair off dry 82 .... and they too sound great ,,, but i think the L8001 is just as good ,,,,,, really good sound ,,,,, :D :D
all the best
otto

Back