burny guitars and pickups..happy with them???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andtosi

Reaction score
First of all , sorry for my english...
let's see if somebody else here had the same experience that I had with burny guitars. I had a 90's sykes model les paul custom and an 80's les paul custom ( long tenon ). , both of them looked nice and undestructible , the 80's custom was too heavy ..
I play everything from heavy blues to hard rock
the sound was too dark, no highs no mids and the low frequencies were too muddy. I like distortion sounds but even on the clean channel they sounded too muddy ..I don't know if they had the famous vh1 pickups..I doubt it..
the seller told me they probably were but ,after reading all the excelent reviews about the vh1 I really don't think they were vh1...
I sold both guitars , I was about to change the pickups on them but I was not sure that it would have worked..I felt like the pickups were not the only problem..maybe the guitar weight and type of wood..I am not an expert..
A week ago I saw a burny sg on sale on ebay, fantastic look and superlight body 3,1kg , I guessed it would have not sounded to dark and muddy because of its weight.. so I decided to give Burny another chance.
the seller said again that pickups awere most probably vh1..The guitar arrived two days ago...fantastic. Not dark sound at all, lot of mids ..much better than my previous burnys guitar, I am also thinking of upgrade the picks with kent armstrong high output pickups ( distortion and superdistortion)..Anyway the pickups are different from each other..no stickers in the back..so not sure what they are
Is anybody here happy with the pickups of a burny from the 80's ( they say they are the better ones)
Are the vh1 good for hard rock..
because maybe the vh1 are for blues or not for crazy hardrock heads..like me..I might be wrong but for example I had two greco les paul with screamin 82 pickups and dry Z ..they were'nt high output but with distortion they sounded great. ..no need to replace them.
anyway this is the link with pics of the SG , bought it from chingo..great seller ..this is my 7th guitar bought from him..
http://imageevent.com/chingo123/october2008/burnysgwhite3716

DONT CHANGE THEM!!! They look to be VH-2's or VH-4's, which I have in by Burny SG Custom (3 pick-up cream SG-Les Paul) as well as in my Burny RLC65 (3 pickup black '57 Les Paul Custom). If you are looking for straight up, classic hard rock, blues ,pups, my personal opinion is you are wasting your money if you swap these. YOu can't get closer to the real old thing IMHO. I have a ObG LPR '59 with Gibson '57 PAF's... nice, but if I had an extra set of VH-1's I would replace the '57's in a second. I had a white '61 SG just like yours but with the VH-1's for a while as well... never should have sold it... or at least I should have pulled the pups from it first.

thanks for your opinion..the pickups are different one from each other.maybe vh4 or vh2..I don't know..they actually sound very good..I ve been playing the guitar for a while this afternoon and I might not change them..I bought the kent armstrong anyway ..I am gonna give' em a try..I won't sell the original ones..I might put em back again.
the thing is..I changed my mind on burny guitars..
any idea if the body is one piece?? I don't know how to recognize when it's one piece or not..

hi
i got 4 burny .... a sg and 3 super grade .... the all sound great .... and i will not change them ,,,,,, :D :D :D the sg is with vh 2 but the bridge pick up is not org ,,,, i got a sd 59 from the 80 in ther but they dont match very well,,,,,,, i think the vh2 is a littel hotter ....
all the best otto

andtosi said:
thanks for your opinion..the pickups are different one from each other.maybe vh4 or vh2..I don't know..they actually sound very good..I ve been playing the guitar for a while this afternoon and I might not change them..I bought the kent armstrong anyway ..I am gonna give' em a try..I won't sell the original ones..I might put em back again.
the thing is..I changed my mind on burny guitars..
any idea if the body is one piece?? I don't know how to recognize when it's one piece or not..

Can't tell from the pics as to how many pieces. If there is no hint of any grain showing thru the finish, you'll need look at it in the light at various angles to see if you can pick up where the join(s) is. Sometimes you can see a slight line where the finish dipped into the join.

I have one very much like yours, bone stock/original, and I would not change a thing on it.
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10356

Keep yours like it is, get used to it; you'll love it :wink:

I won't chenge them....I ve been playing it a lot during this days...at home..with a 5w all tube amp...I fell in love with it.. I m looking forward to play it with my jcm 800!!!
thanks to everybody, I really apreciated it

Latest posts

Back