My latest Burny project...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankiePRS

Reaction score
I thought you lot might appreciate this:

bob1.jpg

each to their own and all that, but that's just horrible. :oops: What ever happened to the duty of privilage?

I love it because it is original, originality is hugely important in music so why not in instruments as well.. :wink: As i said before i love it... :p The ultimate relic.

Mick

By way of explanation...

This guitar came to me with a flamey maple laminate top, which was bubbling, and could not be saved. So I chiseled/pried/whatevered it off (actually, a luthier friend did most of that work) and exposed the plain maple cap. Mostly. I left some of the horizontal striations deliberately, and put some nice dings and dents in it to add texture or character or whatever.

Then I spent a 72-degree afternoon on my deck with sandpaper, inks, paints, tinted nitro clear, etc and just rubbed and painted the top over and over until I got this. A few frosty beverages may have helped fuel the artistic process. The crux of it was really 4 steps --

1) amber and yellowed nitro coats, then
2) inks to look like the remnants of a sunburst finish, and
3) a nearly total coat of flat black water-based paint, and finally
4) gradual rubbing away of the black, which left it in the deep gouges, scratches and cracks.

Then I shot the whole top with 1 thin coat of nitro to seal it.

The p'ups are Will Boggs 6707's... a custom-wound set of double-creams, which I shot with 1 coat of tinted nitro to yellow them a bit.

I tinted the cross and stuck it on, X-acto'd the headstock to emulate finish checking (just cause it looked too clean), then added flat paint to look like dirt/crust, aged the TRC and painted the winged skull on it, and added the skull knobs, which had been sitting in the parts bin since i bought them 3 or 4 years ago. Oh, and I relocated the body strap lock for an extra inch of attitude. That's right... just like hot rodding -- I lowered it. lolol

It was all a labor of love, because this is a great guitar that still has 90% left on the original, bound frets. Although I'm a PRS Endorsed Artist, I play Burny LPs for a significant portion of every show - and I've long wanted one that reflects my personal asthetic and style. My main guitar is an '86 PRS that is just beaten to death, so this goes nicely with it. I'm also an endorser for WB pickups, and they just kill in this guitar.

FrankiePRS I'm sure what you've done people will either love or hate, I personally, love it, think it looks great, like a Gibson BFG should look, loads of attitude!!

not sure I`d call it reliced, more customized to me.
Anyhow, if Zack Wild did this to one of his guitars, Gibson would be selling his artist model for $10,000.oo.

Well at least it's getting a lot more love than it was in it's previous life. I'm not sure about you describing your own aesthetic as style though Frankie, fashion - for sure, taste - the world is full of perculiar paletes, but style - you've either got or you haven't. :wink:

leadguitar_323 said:
Go on John ...you know you want too.... :wink:

Mick

Just got to find my belt-sander and I'll get started :D

Seriously, if I thought I could do that good a job I would have a go, maybe not on the LS120, but on something.

FrankiePRS said:
By way of explanation...

This guitar came to me with a flamey maple laminate top, which was bubbling, and could not be saved.

Exactly why I do not like laminate/veneer tops

solid tops RULE, in my book.........................

Latest posts

Back