Burny SG vs OBG '61 SG

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3pupLPC

Reaction score
Guys,

I have a '88 OBG 61 that is my main guitar, and I love it... in complete agreement with everyone here how the MIJ's typically blow away the Gibson counterparts (I've had quite a few Gibbys and sold them all over the years). All of my guitars now are MIJ, one of which is a Burny LPC which is incredible as well... now my question... for you guys who have had both, how do the Burny '61 SGs compare to their OBG cousins? I know the nitro vs poly will give a little different feel, but overall what are your thoughts? I am looking to pick up another SG and have been shopping for a white or black OBG, but wondering if I should open myself up to Burny as well.
Thanks.

Doug

I have a Burny early 60's model SG (small pickguard) in black with VH1 pickups. Also have an Orville (not OBG) 61 reissue in cherry with Seth Lover p'ups I put in it. (The Orville pups went into a Univox Guild Starfire copy hollowbody)

Personally, I like Burny better - Mostly the feel (particularly the neck - wide but not thick) and the sound (the VH1 pups are some of the best off the rack pickups I've ever heard) Haven't done a thing to it.

The Orville feel just like any top $$ Gibson 61 reissue - same neck profile and pristine body edge beveling. I swapped the pickups because I felt it was a nice upgrade - Seth Lovers are marvelous pickups and really sound good loaded into the thin body of an SG. Going to replace the pots and caps next.

Love em both but I'd have to say the Burny is the better guitar - all around. But that being said, I don't know how it would stack up to a OBG with Gibson USA electronics in it.

Thanks Marcus. If you dont mind me asking, are the necks set similarly between the two?
I was thinking about Seth Lovers for my OBG, but being a recent convert back from my MIJ Fenders (not completely- just sharing time) and favoring single coils, I got a set of Phat Cats instead, and am very happy with them. Maybe I'll try the SL's in the next SG I add.

3pupLPC said:
Thanks Marcus. If you dont mind me asking, are the necks set similarly between the two?
I was thinking about Seth Lovers for my OBG, but being a recent convert back from my MIJ Fenders (not completely- just sharing time) and favoring single coils, I got a set of Phat Cats instead, and am very happy with them. Maybe I'll try the SL's in the next SG I add.

Unfortunately I have them both in storage but from memory, the Burny neck is a bit wider. The Orville is very much like the 60's, slim profile Gibson SG neck - maybe a little narrower and a more rounded profile.

I will soon be able to make my own comparisons soon as I just picked up a Burny '61... it should be waiting for me when I get back from vacation this week. Will post some pix later.

Latest posts

Back