Greco Dry / Screamin pickup identification help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_SF

Reaction score
Hi --

I recently acquired an '84 Greco LP Custom Randy Rhoads (RR-95K) model, which is missing the original pickups -- it has decent pickups in it now, but I'm aiming to either find a set of original DRY pickups to restore it to original spec, or throw in a nice set of Gibsons, Duncans, or something else.

My question involves how to identify Greco pickups (or what someone may represent to me as Greco pickups) and more specifically how to tell one model from another (specifically, SCREAMIN & DRY models, and DRY 1982 vs. DRY-Z)? I'm having trouble finding pictures of them on the 'Net for comparison purposes. I do recall seeing pictures of the undersides of some of them once (possibly in an eBay ad), but don't recall anything other than they might have had stickers on them with the model name.

If I run across some pickups that somebody is selling as Greco "Dry" or "Screamin" models but which don't have stickers on them, what should I look for? Anyone have any clues as to the following:

- Braided or plastic coating on the pickup lead wires?

- What color insulation on the pickup lead wires?

- What color metal on the underside?

- Any stamped or inked words / letters / numbers on the underside?

- Anything distinctive about the screws / polepieces on the underside? (Steel / brass bobbin screws, flat/philips head, etc.)

- Anything distinctive about the screws / polepieces on the top?

- Most of the ones I've seen are covered. However, if the covers have been removed:
(1) Are the bobbins black, white, or zebra?
(2) If the adjustable (screw) polepieces are gold, would the non-adjustable polepieces on the other bobbin also be gold or would they be chrome/silver colored?

Pointers to pictures of actual pickups out of the guitar for comparison purposes would be much appreciated, too.

Thanks!

Hi Alex_SF

I have a RR95K too!! (with Kahler Tremelo)

The pickups are really only identifiable by the sticker on the back, which is a small black rectangular shape with printed 'DRY 1982' or 'Scream'in 1982' in gold/yellow color, braided wires....

I had a Greco JS-55 with the Scream'in 1982 pickups, the base plate look the same...

There is also Double Trick & The Groove pups as well

I will post pics shortly of the DRY 1982 pups in my RR95K...

BTW
It is the earlier pickups that had a series numbers printed on the back, the first number is a giveaway as to which factory that they were made, beginning with a 1 or 2, I forget which factory was which, but, I have the research info on that if you are interested...

Mick

Hi guys, i have an RR 65 with dry 1982 pickups and they have the little sticker underneath, i really like these pickups they are perfectly suited to this guitar. As far as serial numbers go if the number start with L82xxxx then its a Fujigen made guitar if they start with 2 xxxx then it is also an 1982 model but from the Dyna Gakki factory. The "L" at the start of the fujigen built guitar designates the month it was built , A= january B=february and so on, so the "L" is a december made guitar. Hope this helps.

Mick

I don't have a pic of the underside of the pups but mine are all black.
11e5_121.jpg

Mick

Those photos are very helpful; thanks. Now I know the set someone's currently offering on e**y are neither Drys nor Screamins (brass-colored baseplates, wrong-looking polepieces underneath, plastic wire, etc.).

I just can't get my head around tremolo's on LP's
It makes it a little different from a traditional LP, true, but (a) the Kahler doesn't really move around under your hand while you're playing, so take off the bar and you don't really feel any difference; (b) mine has a hybrid model Kahler, which you can convert to hardtail with an Allen key, and (c) I have other LP-based guitars I can bust out if I really want traditional LP feel. I didn't really have a "met?ll" guitar in my collection, so the RR-95K was a little offbeat and very cool way to fill that niche.

HI,JAPAN GUITARS has a set of dry z pickups for sale (?300)
you can be sure these are the real deal. Just go to the links page and pick him up from there. I haven't delt with him myself but going on his feedback from people who have you can be assured of a fair deal ..hope this helps

leadguitar_323 said:
Are you after some John??, if so i will get prices for you.

Mick

Maybe, if the price was OK, but I'm not going to be spending ?300 on a set of pickups any time soon!

Love the PU-2's in my EGF850 and if the Dry Z's are all they are cracked up to be I would love to try some.

Hi John, ok mate i'll find out for you.. :wink:
i'm pretty sure they'll be cheaper than that, it might take a couple of days but i'll PM you when i find out.
Cheers Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi John, ok mate i'll find out for you.. :wink:
i'm pretty sure they'll be cheaper than that, it might take a couple of days but i'll PM you when i find out.
Cheers Mick
Cheers mate :wink:

japaxes said:
HI,JAPAN GUITARS has a set of dry z pickups for sale (?300)
you can be sure these are the real deal. Just go to the links page and pick him up from there. I haven't delt with him myself but going on his feedback from people who have you can be assured of a fair deal ..hope this helps

Hey - thanks for the tip, but:

300 pounds?!?!? Like, UK pounds, that are currently at ~ 1:2 to the US dollar?

That must be some pretty good crack they're getting in England.

Yeah, I know (a) they're not making these pickups anymore, and (b) they did a good job of capturing the vintage PAF sound; but (a) they're not making the guitars anymore either and I paid slightly less than that for the entire RR-95K, and (b) you can capture the vintage PAF sound pretty well with a US$180 set of Gibson Burstbuckers too. Good Lord. That's more than a set of vintage Gibson PAT# pickups from the 60s, and just about getting into brand-new Tom Holmes territory. Sheesh.

I'll stipulate that he's a square dealer and an honest guy, but he's thoroughly delusional on this one. I've got a fair deal for him: I put a set of Gibson Burstbuckers or 490R/498T pickups in my Greco, and he keeps those for about 25 years until inflation catches up with his asking price.

Thanks again all, for the useful information and photos. Mick from Brisbane -- wait, there's two Micks from Brisbane -- OK, LG323 -- if those ones in Japan are going for ~ 12,000 Yen or less for a set, I may also be interested. Cheers.

I just don't get the hype around the Greco pickups. I've owned two Fujigen made Mint Collection LP's that had the DRY 1982 pickups. These pickups are nice but not THAT nice. A set of Dimarzio Virtual PAF's are at least as nice if not more so. And less microphonic too. I've got an 82 Greco goldtop that I put Nortons in. Those also sound way better than the DRY 1982's, as I've had the opportunity to A/B test them. I think the main thing is the tone woods and build quality that make these guitars so good.

I agree about the tonewood. I just got my 3rd mint collection 2 from 84'. I got Lollar imperials in my other 2 and another set in limbo. I can't decide to pull the trigger or keep one stock with the screamin 82's. To be honest for playin rythym the stock pups have a cool quality I like about them that really shine when you very pick attack and dig in but, for more dynamics the Imperials outshine them better cleans and bloom,sustain.

Hi fiftywatt, Interesting, i have seymores, tokai, custom hand wound, bill lawrence and dimarzio's and in my RR 65 the dry 1982 are awesome and the creamiest of the pickups i have, it well may be that i have the perfect combination of pickups and tone woods in this guitar, or i'm just lucky, but i play everything from metal to undistorted blues on this guitar and it does everything extremely well and not a hint of microphonics.This isn't an uneducated rambling either as i have been playing for 30+ years and have tried multiple combinations of pickups. They probably aren't the best pickups there is,but in this guitar they are perfect. :p

Mick

PS, if you have any spare sets you wish to sell let me know...cheers

Back