Looking for info on a 1990 Mint collection???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie777

Reaction score
Hi guys, New guy here.

I recently bought this guitar and I'm kinda having doubts about its originality. It was sold to me in supposed all original condition with only the Machine heads changed and a 50's wiring conversion done.

For the year (1990?) I cannot find an Ebony Standard that matches this one.

There are also a few things out of place that I'm beginning to notice the more I look it over. I'll detail them numerically.

1. First thing I noticed was the pickups. The serial shows up as 1975, this would make them Maxon, Possibly u1000. Certainly, don't belong on a 1990 guitar.

2. the switch wiring and switch are wrong.

3. There is too much of a gap between the edge of the fretboard and the low E String.

4 The Headstock shape seems out of whack, Instead of the perfect open book this one is about 50 pages by halfway. The Groove at the top of the open book actually runs at an angle as well. I mean it's not straight the way it should be.

5. The Long tenon sits high in the cavity, Most I have seen sit flush with the bottom of the cavity. Not saying this is wrong as the routing would suggest Greco Japan.

Would Greco have allowed this to pass QC in 1990.

Cheers, i'll post the pics in order if i can work out how to.

[/img]

Latest posts

Back