Greco Strat I/D and price...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Vader

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can you help me I/D this Greco Strat and give me a ballpark figure on what it's worth? I have been offered this as a trade by a local seller and i have no clue what the model may be except "Super Sound" made by Matsumoko in 1975.

Any additional details would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

greco.jpg

hi
in my view .... anything from greco before 79 are junk :)
no,,, there there are a few good guitars but it was first in 79 the were makeing the really good guitars ,,,
but that is just what i mean ,,,
all the best
otto

I agree, not so desirable. Big headstock, questionable materials. You would do better to wait for something a little higher in spec to come along.

Few years ago I bought one of those Matsumoku made Gneco top loader teles from a shop on line...similar if not the same color as this strat too. Opened the box, took the guitar out and looked it over...6 piece neck counting the laminated fretboard, absolute crap electronics and p`ups, and the body was horrible. Sent a fax to the shop to tell them I was sending it back, had it for less than an hour...worst POS Japanese guitar I have seen to this day and one of the very very few times I have been disappointed with an Japanese guitar.
On the other hand, I own a few Greco strats from the mid to late `70s that are fabulous so there are some very nice old Grecos from the `70s out there, I wouldn`t go so far as to say they are all crap from that time period. Also had a hollow body 335 type Gneco that I got locally at a Hard Off shop and sold on line, few weeks after selling it the buyer sent us an e-mail...OH OH...I thought, bad news...but no, he sent a mail to say how happy he was with the guitar.

Thanks guys.
Unless the seller offers it at a really low price, I'll pass.
Absolutely put off by the Transformer pickguard anyway.
(what was he thinking?)

Cheers
DV

I have a greco se-500 from sept of '78 that's great but it was made at the fujigen plant. Perhaps the change from Matsumoku to Fujigen makes a difference.

I have a SE600 from 1978 and an SE500 from 1979. Both great guitars. Just wanted to get that on the record.

Back