LP Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjeelittlo

Reaction score
I've been wanting a Greco LP for some time. Found a possibility, but I'm enough of a novice to be nervous about MIJ claims by seller. No serial or sticker on the rear of headstock. Haven't seen it or played it, going by blurry pictures. Appears to be in good condition. Seller says it's an MIJ custom, probably from early 80s. Fitted neck, which gives me confidence. Have to upload pictures to post, and will do so if anyone has time to offer thoughts. Greco is my family name, so I have to own at least one in my lifetime. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

yeah no serial number is a bit dodgy. I'm sure some of the other experts will chime in but I think I remember reading that could mean made in Korea. Or there were some 90's models that didn't have serials??? Not sure. I'm doubting it's early 80's though.

Pictures would be helpful.

Does it say "made in japan" on tuners ? mine greco, has that + serial number, but maybe serial vanished ; )

JakexXx and soundcreation - Thanks so much for taking time to reply. I can't tell from pics and I have to travel hours to see and play the guitar. I'm trying to make sure I don't set myself up with a long drive home, empty-handed and still in search of my first Greco.

Here are the pictures I have:

GrecoMIJ2.jpg

GrecoMIJ3.jpg

GrecoMIJ4.jpg

Forgot that serial numbers were possibly painted on, so wearing off could be the issue. I need to ask the seller. He's been responsive and seems honest. I'm just not sure he knows exactly what he has. I don't want to waste his time or mine. Thanks again for responses. :D

Bigjeelittlo said:
So, if I like the guitar, I should probably keep my offer to around $600 tops, correct?

Again, thanks much.

Can't say, I'm in Europe, prices are different here.
These can be had for around $400 I believe.

First, thanks again to all for the help. I believe a donation to this list is in order.

@JakexXx - not sure what you mean by samples. More pictures? Or perhaps you meant finding "comps" somewhere else?

@jacco - I'd be surprised if it was worth 50% more in the States, so your guess is helpful. I think I need to do more research. Thanks much.

i say hold out for something nicer,,if your name IS Greco,then get the best model Super Real Custom,with the Dry Z pickups.you won't be sorry :D

LarryC said:
i say hold out for something nicer,,if your name IS Greco,then get the best model Super Real Custom,with the Dry Z pickups.you won't be sorry :D

Any leads? I found one in Australia, and then just got frustrated at the customs issues because the seller wants shipping to be my responsibility. I'm a bit short on cash right now, so maybe I need to wait until I have the funds. But then there's that nagging feeling that times a passin'...

sorry can't help you..

IMO the problem with Greco Customs is they are rosewood fingerboards,not ebony,they just don't look right to me :(

LarryC said:
sorry can't help you..

IMO the problem with Greco Customs is they are rosewood fingerboards,not ebony,they just don't look right to me :(

My 1981 Super Real EGC1000 has an ebony board, all 1000s do.

DSC_3612.jpg

hi jacco
nothing beats a white custom ,,,,,,,,,,, :D :D :D :D :D
they have become my favorit color ,,,, i love them ,,,,

and a egc 1000 WOW WOW :eek: :eek: :eek:
you are a lucky guy :D :D
very lucky :D :D :D
all the best
otto

hi jacco
won this one :D :D
a tokai made greco ... in white :D :D :D :D
i got one tokai made greco egc 75 in white now ... and this one on the way from japan now ....
a funny thing ,,,, the egc 75 i got now has a 18 headstock :eek:
not 14 like my other greco egc made by fujigen
all the best
otto

Hi Otto, where have you been? :wink:

Yeah, it seems all Greco customs have a 14 degree headstock angle. That EGC75 is an exception for it was made by Tokai for Greco.

My EGC1000 is probably a custom order for it has a maple top instead of all maho body as featured in the catalogs and also this color doesn't feature in the catalogs. One of the first Greco Randy Rhoads models I guess.
And it confuses me a bit; it's heavy as hell: 4.7 kg, yet it's the best sounding LP I've ever played. More mojo than my EGF1800s and FLG240..
and yeah, I like that creamy color on it a lot!

Latest posts

Back