Just bought a super real se 700 strat, opinions??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andtosi

Reaction score
Hello everybody
I just bought this greco se 700 super real.
I am asking for your opinion ( wood , pickups etc... )
not the I don t trust the seller, I bought like 10 guitars from chingo123

here's the link::

http://imageevent.com/chingo123/june2010/grecose700superrealsb5298

390 GBP shipping included to Spain..

how many pieces of wood ?? I mean the body..

Hi andtosi. Can't help you with the spec's as I'm not up on Greco strats but the body is 2 pieces I think. You can see one joint from third third bridge saddle screw.

Nice guitar :wink:

Congrats! :)
That's a very good Strat.
I have the same but mine has not theses pickups:

dscn1506x.jpg

All the SE700 Super Real I've seen are gorgeous 2 pieces ash body center seam.

I wonder if pickups on yours are the same as the high end SE800?

thank you for the info, I assumed it was 2 pieces but I am not an expert..

I might replace the pickups, at leat the bridge one, the guitar has not arrived yet , but I uesd to own another greco super sound strat and the bridge pickup sounded very thin...

cheers

Tell us what it sounds like when you get it, been curious about them.

Nice guitar! looks like a 1p Japanese Ash (Fraxinus Japonica) , nitro, S8 pups (same as SE800)

December 1979 Super Real, congrats.

Confusion with Sen and Japanese Ash, Sen is from the ivy family not the ash family, and is used more for furniture etc the colour is more yellow and has straight lines only, Japan Ash is from the Oriental Ash family and has the nice curves as well, and is brownish in colour...

Any feedback on theses S8 pickups?
How do they sound compare to the SE-1?
I know they were also on the SE600.

thanks to everyone..

the guitar will arrive on monday ( I hope..)
I ll post a review as soon as possible..

unfortunately custom keep my guitar for nearly two weeks. But it was worth waiting. The guitar is the best strat I ve ever played, and I owned two american standards. I replaced the pickups with ordinary fender us , and took it to a tech for a set up. Now it tis great, vintage sound, lots of sustain, definetly better than any standard usa I tried before. the original pickups are fine, but the bridge as I expected , sounded very thin. Middle and neck pickups were fine to me. Anyway I had a set of three us standard pickups an I replace the original ones.

I have my 1978 SE800 on the way, should be here this week. Looking forward to it! :D 2 piece though :( and the seam is just off center but gorgeous nonetheless! It looks pretty mint too!

80697272.jpg

46910821.jpg

78783181.jpg

Cheers GB! Looking forward to playing it. Did these generally come with a beefy or thin neck, do you know? From the looks of it, it looks to be on the heftier side. Frets look like they were never used lol

A few more pics & I made a mistake, it is a 1977 :p

30518344.jpg

15414303.jpg

26781588.jpg

20460344.jpg

64371568.jpg

Well she arrived and it is gorgeous! It has Excel stamped pickups and all original. The only weird thing is, the (what looks to be) original switch is a 3 way and not a 5. Was that normal for these late 70's?

4842542310_750b843a40_b.jpg
4841920613_48fa09b6c0_b.jpg

Wowsers! Check out the virtually 3D grain popping out on that wood in the sunlight! :eek:

Looks very nice. :)
It has the early type scratch plate so the 3-way switch would have been right for what it is copying?

Ah yes, I suppose you are correct there but the 5 ways were standard by 1977. Unless this was meant to be copying a much earlier Strat from the early 60's? The scratch plate is a 1 piece with squared edges. I will leave her stock as is then but a 5 way would be nice....mmm. My knowledge on early Strats is just coming into fruition. They are growing on me :D

Udonitron said:
Ah yes, I suppose you are correct there but the 5 ways were standard by 1977. Unless this was meant to be copying a much earlier Strat from the early 60's? The scratch plate is a 1 piece with squared edges. I will leave her stock as is then but a 5 way would be nice....mmm. My knowledge on early Strats is just coming into fruition. They are growing on me :D

My Strat has grown on me also, but it's a more modern type although it's still undoubtedly a Strat.

About the scratch plate, I meant that it is a single ply 8 screw scratch plate, ie a 50's type, and that type of setup would have had a 3-way switch.
Yes, I think your Strat is a 50's copy (ash body with maple board are other signs).

Is it a maple slab board on a maple neck, or a fretted maple neck (no extra board but frets put directly onto the neck)?

Ah OK, I see. I thought you were only referring to the ply, not the screw count. Yeah it is a 1 piece maple neck with no top sheet. Frets are right into the neck. Out of the few Strat's and Tele's I have owned, this neck put them all to shame. It feels like a 59 Les Paul neck...really nice.

Latest posts

Back