Dry Z question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telenut62

Reaction score
Just scored a set of the Z's and I noticed there is a drop in volume in the mid position, especially at lounge settings, checked my old pups (MKII's) and it's pretty well constant in all three positions. Both volumes are full on, same settings all round, so it def the Dry's. It is not so bad when the volume is higher, the neck pup is a very full rich sound compared to the bridge
(and I mean rich... gotta get something for your money!!) Is it my ears or do you need to get them breathing to get 'em up and running?

I had no volume drop with my set in my 850...
telenut62 said:
the neck pup is a very full rich sound compared to the bridge
I had the exact opposite feeling. :lol:
I have never heard so great harmonics in a bridge humbucker. 8)

Interesting, maybe I've been spoilt with the MKII's as the bridge pup reads 11 to 7.4 on the neck. I have only had them in a day, my first thought was that the magnets were out of phase?? but it looks all original on the back. Will investigate further for sure

sounds like you have to flip one of the magnets,one is out of phase,you would have to take one of the pickups apart.doa Google search.
mine are like this too, usually referred to as the "Peter Green" mod.
but it's OK as is!!
when in the middle position,all you have to do is slightly vary the volume of either pickup and you get your normal tone back,
I like to slightly lower the bridge volume,then you will get the classic middle position sound..

Yes it struck me as a PG mod, I've re-adjusted the pup heights rolled off the neck volume a bit and cranked a couple renditions of La Grange, bugger the neighbours.... all ok again.

Yup as I thought ....I took out the Dry's and had a good look, the wax and the solder looks original and undisturbed.... :-?

its not entirely unusual or impossible for this to have been missed at manufacturing.

although if you are also saying that the bridge pickup of your Z's are 11k I would question whether it is indeed an original DRY Z. It may have been rewound

Most (but not all) manufacturers will orient the magnets so that the slugs are at the north side of the magnet

Declan

villager said:
11k is crazy ...check the wiring

I think he's talking about his old MKII's not the Z's

If the volume drop in the mid position is really noticable the I agree one of the magnets may well have been flipped

Latest posts

Back