86 Greco with DRY pickups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfman

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I found an 86 Greco Custom for sale that has DRY pickups. The covers are black with DRY written on them, making it look pretty close to a pair of EMG pickups. Does anyone know if these are DRY-Z's, or a different animal altogether?

Thanks for any info on these.

4604641019_2c670ce3fa_o.jpg

1986 can't be Dry Z.
And I doubt they are Dry 82 but who knows...
I have already seen cover with "DRY" written just like this and as far I remember it wasn't the famous Dry but later pickups with the same name.

dryt.jpg

Request pictures of pickup's bottom is the best way to know.

Thanks for the information, I haven't seen any others like this. The guitar is listed at 4.8 kg which is a bit heavy for me. If anyone has experience with these DRY pickups and can testify to the sound that would be great, if not I'll probably let it pass though the price is just a bit over $400.

Mark F has this '85 listed as having Dry '82 pups:

http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/generalunrest2/Greco/Greco%20EG59-180%20Custom%20order%201985/

i agree, the weight is a deal breaker though.

Thanks Ryan, I can see the DRY logo in black on the pickup covers. That is a beautiful guitar!
DSCF7208.jpg

so, the current consensus is, nobody really knows :p ; interesting :(

I have some doubt as to the black covered DRY being the same animal as it's previous name sake .......... but I could be wrong ..........

The thing that I find odd for the continuation of a particular pickup, no matter what it is called, there are no (visible) adjustable poles on the black cover DRY

Why would something so different in looks and, also being non adjustable, be the same thing?

IMO a name is just a name; when it comes down to the nuts & bolts of any item, a name, or what something is labeled as, really means nothing

just my 2 cents :lol: .................

I have a little to add.

I've seen those a few times later grecos. Maybe even 90's. They also made single coils with the same types of covers.

A guy on harmony central has a greco that came with those black covered white lettered "dry" pickups and he thought they were pretty crap. Swapped them out. My guess is they are not even 82's and a newer model designed to cash in on the rep.

In any event I lost any curiosity on them after hearing how average that guy said they were. One person's opinion is not the end all by any means but still, just really don't care enough to find out.

I'm curious if they have two slug rows, or if they have the typical (1 each) slug & screw rows .................

they obviously have some visual difference to the earlier/typical DRY 82

how do they sound, in comparison to an earlier/typical DRY 82 ..................

I've seen the word "Dry" used many times by different Japanese folks to describe how their old guitars sound - and not just humbuckers or LP's. Why do they use this word this way? Something lost in translation?

villager said:
well i wont be removing the covers to check, but they sound pretty good to me, not like dry-Z, but pretty nice

well, I didn't expect you to remove the covers but I am curious none the less

I haven't played any DRY 82s so, I can't comment on those & I would have no idea how these pickups labeled as DRY would compare to the DRY 82s

all in all, it still seems odd that a continuation of the DRY pickup would end up with non adjustable poles; just seems a bit fishy IMO ............

well one was labelled dry 1982 so i would assume its a dry1982 with adjustable poles, but I dont know cos I haven't looked so they may be adjustable or they may be some other type, dunno, dont care really, they sound ok to me,

They are CRAZY z's - ebay # 15044392541 ) ------- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150443925410&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I have 3 sets of Dry-Z, and 1 set of the dry-82, I just bought this epiphone, ------ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160433641307&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT , and the original gibson pickups in this epiphone, sound better than any of the dry's that i have ?

benrod said:
They are CRAZY z's - ebay # 15044392541 ) ------- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150443925410&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
Exactly what I mean.
"Dry" was use for many later Greco pickups even single coil but there aren't Dry of course.

Back