Any idea about this pickup in this Greco?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverkw

Reaction score
Hi, I recently acquired a Greco (although the original headstock has been painted over). I really like how the guitar feels and sounds (a tad muddy but I am going to add some caps to make it sounds less bassy).

The seller told me that it was an EGF-850, and showed me a few facts regarding the guitar, which seem to be valid, but the pickups we cannot identify, could be some cheap stuff that went in, but from the solder they seem to have been in the guitar for a long time, I wonder if there's any way to identify them at all? The pickups readings are 7.9K for neck, 8.0K for bridge. There is absolutely no marks or stickers on the back.

Some other info about the guitar:
- volume pots have number 304072, and 03 K on them.
- Tone pots have number _04042 and 03 K on them.
- The neck binding covers frets edge.
- finish appears to be thin nitro.
- finger board has a red tint to it, not very dark.

Here are some pictures showing the neck joint, and the back of headstock.

It also shows some delaminating on the body edge :( But I get it fixed since I really like this guitar.

IMG_9763.jpg

IMG_9761.jpg

IMG_9759.jpg

IMG_9731.jpg

Gorgeous! :D
Hm 1980 pickups are supposed to be PU-2 but there aren't stamp...
If it was later model (mint collection) it could have been something else but... :roll:

They are not original IMO.
This is very common.

The guitar is a dowel tenon from 1980 and the pickups should have a Maxon stamp on them and they don't look like Maxons.

It has all the traits of an EGF-850, the neck joint is right for a 1980 Greco and the fret binding with flame top indicates an EGF850. As the othere have said the pickups should be PU-2's which are great pickups, but they look like later Burny pickups to me.

Look like Burny's to me too. Wasn't that guitar on ebay recently?

Thanks a lot guys!

This guitar was on eBay but I got it locally from the seller.

I suspected those PU to be after market stuff, but no matter, they sound great.

Today I just hooked a .022 cap to the hot wire of the neck pickup, and then another 0.001 to the volume pot for treble bleed, and it sounds really PAF like now. (The bridge pickup sounds fine as is)

Next step would be to re-condition the toggle switch (gonna sand paper the contact points), and replace the scratchy pots and those tiny caps between vol and tone pots.

I will prob. look into better tuners and alum bar, I might experiment with a couple of other pickups at some point, but I will be a happy camper very soon!

Latest posts

Back